Where has your bike taken you today?

An3

Coke and seriously good carrot cake along the route of my long hilly ride yesterday

Pit stop for this at the garden route trail park

Man those 200ml ‘buddies’ got me all nostalgic now. Those mini ambulances got me through varsity lunchtimes haha. And since you’d spend all your money on alcohol the night before....the R2 price tag was The Best...and then you’d even get R1 back for the glass bottle. This was circa 2004-2009 before someone older reminds me what they cost in the 70s haha. You could get a buddy and a pie or chicken mayo jaffle on tuks south campus for R7 total and eat like a ‘king‘???? Edited by morneS555

• Replies 30.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• DJR

• Frosty

• NotSoBigBen

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know where you ride or what your thing is, but if you live within striking distance of Table Mountain, then you better get your priorities straight and spend some time smelling the pincushions, so to speak. The Mountain was just spectacular this morning. Rhodes Memorial area with D.

post-17716-0-00127600-1603009744_thumb.jpg

Showing my gravel bike some love this morning.....damn I love the speed on the dirt that a gravel bike gives you

Taking a break to scoff down some homemade banana bread the missus so kindly made for me

I'd actually like some input from you regarding the differences between the dual susser, the Stache and the gravel bike. I'm loving the Stache for trail riding, but I'm finding it to be a lot of work on gravel. Upping the tyre pressure sacrifices the comfort and lowering it makes it even slower, although as comfortable as my sofa.

Don't know if its just me being a ninny, or whether there's any truth to the 29x3.0 tyres being boat anchors on gravel.

Generally not phased, but I've got the Transbaviaans coming up and I'm concerned that I'm making it extra difficult on myself by riding the Stache.

Any comments welcome.

I'd actually like some input from you regarding the differences between the dual susser, the Stache and the gravel bike. I'm loving the Stache for trail riding, but I'm finding it to be a lot of work on gravel. Upping the tyre pressure sacrifices the comfort and lowering it makes it even slower, although as comfortable as my sofa.

Don't know if its just me being a ninny, or whether there's any truth to the 29x3.0 tyres being boat anchors on gravel.

Generally not phased, but I've got the Transbaviaans coming up and I'm concerned that I'm making it extra difficult on myself by riding the Stache.

Any comments welcome.

If I may.....

Coming from DH/trail/enduro with single crown full sus....

First ride on a gravel bike was "Ag No way man!" .... "Nee vokdit!"...."How the hell?"...My teeth nearly fell out my head! No suspension other that the little flex in a stiff carbon frame....Ok it was an MTB trail not a gravel road per se but I though, well at least I can ride on the road! But then I got wider tyres (35mm), gravel bars and better seat (Spez) and persisted and so far I'm sold on the new avenues and the flexibility a gravel steed offers ie start on the road, hard right onto the trail and pop out to finish on a swift road ride home. MUCH more time in the saddle that just pure MTB or road.

Now I have to admit that I have not done any real distance on a pukka gravel road but I have done the Mast at Tokai (

) and the full Newlands trail (
) both of which have some knar better suited to a soft-tail/full suss and there are some parts that you do suffer and have to ride real careful...so you have to know up front that you are not going to be able to go full gas....as long as you realise that, you will enjoy a gravel bike if not purely for the speed you can tap into quickly and its ability to be used on the road voetstoets.

So with the Stashe on 3" tyres, ja the issue right there...3"...I have had some on my full suss MTB and whilst it's like riding in an old cadillac limo banger with floating shocks going downhill on single track....they ride like you are dragging 12 inches of railway line everywhere else cause of the low pressure ...1.8 bar was just right for me!

So again, its horses for courses, if you looking at a gravel bike, know their limits and evaluate the trail/race/route you want to ride....but also know that they do give you more choice.

Having said all of that, the fundamental rule of bicycle ownership applies over and above any decision making process...

N+1

Fin!