Where has your bike taken you today?

An3

No cool photos.

Did a ride with mates this morning.

Managed to knock of 1m50 off my previous best up Linksfield at the beginning of the ride.

Then on the way back we rode it again, I didn’t beat my fresh legs time from earlier in the morning but was still 30s quicker than my previous PR.

Current standing on Strava for the day has me as 4th quickest.

Oh and total elevation for the ride came on at 953m, for Jhb that’s decent over 60km

Well done dude! That's a proper time up there. I usually take it easy up to the first pitch up (~30m before the boom on the first sharp right turn) and I've managed a 6:15 PB up there on the Hulkbuster which was, coincidentally, also yesterday.

If ever there was a place I wish I had a skinny carbon road bike under me it's climbing up there! It's a pretty relentless hill but always a bunch of fun. The photo op halfway up is the GP equivalent to the ever-present Chappies stop photo for the WC guys. If you're a cyclist and you've ridden up there you must have taken at least one photo there.

Exhibit A and B from yesterday:

post-131650-0-80251000-1610960554_thumb.jpg

post-131650-0-14650800-1610960563_thumb.jpg

EDIT: Looking at it now, the bright red kit with the bright green bike makes me look like either a watermelon or Santa, weight dependent.

Edited by TyronLab

• Replies 30.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• DJR

• Frosty

• NotSoBigBen

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done dude! That's a proper time up there. I usually take it easy up to the first pitch up (~30m before the boom on the first sharp right turn) and I've managed a 6:15 PB up there on the Hulkbuster which was, coincidentally, also yesterday.

If ever there was a place I wish I had a skinny carbon road bike under me it's climbing up there! It's a pretty relentless hill but always a bunch of fun. The photo op halfway up is the GP equivalent to the ever-present Chappies stop photo for the WC guys. If you're a cyclist and you've ridden up there you must have taken at least one photo there.

Exhibit A and B from yesterday:

attachicon.gif2021-01-17 1.jpg

attachicon.gif2021-01-17 2.jpg

EDIT: Looking at it now, the bright red kit with the bright green bike makes me look like either a watermelon or Santa, weight dependent.

shot man. yeah that first 30m or so before you turn to the boom is nasty.

No light weight carbon bike here. I'm pretty chuffed with the time, I think there may be a little more in me on fresher legs, I did a 27km TT the saturday morning on my loop around the airport so was already a bit fatigued.

As for the photo op, I was going to stop on the way down, then decided that since my mate lives up there (basically at the top of Kallanbach, in the gated street) I'll just grab a pic from his place when we get back. I didnt do it.

Wasn’t intentional, but the with ideal conditions I turned the corner and just kept it going. 37s later, I reached the t-junction, turned right and sat up to enjoy the setting sun. The result was that someone will be getting that Uh-oh![/ b].

I expect it will be challenged, and welcome it. A almost max 30-second effort, or slightly longer, and it’s over.

Wasn’t intentional, but the with ideal conditions I turned the corner and just kept it going. 37s later, I reached the t-junction, turned right and sat up to enjoy the setting sun. The result was that someone will be getting that Uh-oh![/ b].

I expect it will be challenged, and welcome it. A almost max 30-second effort, or slightly longer, and it’s over.

Strava KOM?

Strava KOM?

Yes. Looking back now, it wasn’t a popular segment with only 198 people of which many times were probably from locals riding in the 5Km radius during lock down. Slowest speed is 2.8Km/h [emoji2359]

Yes. Looking back now, it wasn’t a popular segment with only 198 people of which many times were probably from locals riding in the 5Km radius during lock down. Slowest speed is 2.8Km/h [emoji2359]

there's no space in the results column for comments... take it...

Stuff like that, NOBODY is going to complain about a double post :thumbup:

caged in the office ... serious case of envy .... not sure I could handle a double dose .... 

Brutal day out from Hoekwil to Volmoed near oudtshoorn and about 90 gravel 13 quiet tar. But with 1740 elevation and 33 degree heat I’m am properly toasted despite 3 rounds of cream

Coming over the lush cool Outeniqua mountains it’s quite a shock to be in the dry and harsh Klein Karoo within 2km

What I learnt - I will downsize my chainring next tour but will have to suck it up for the next 5 days - the packs make a huge difference

If water is available down what you have and refill when you’re in a semi desert

When Benky says it’s an easy ninety, double check the route

Apply more sunscreen

Don’t set up your bags and then not bother to test ride

Coke is a wonder drug and I don’t mean the powdered form

White bakkies go faster in the Karoo

As you were

post-81229-0-27139400-1611073934_thumb.jpeg

post-81229-0-78593300-1611073957_thumb.jpeg

post-81229-0-87093400-1611074049_thumb.jpeg

post-81229-0-29267700-1611074202_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Wayne pudding Mol