Where has your bike taken you today?

An3

I found this quite funny. A public road and they are advising you that cars test their speed here. All you need now is Leon Schuster to man a speed trap

ANYTHING is possible, especially the improbable, in a place like that.

We spent some time at Verneukpan (where Malcolm Campbell attempted a land speed record in the 1920s, I think) and I always found it totally surreal. I would not have been at all surprised if a spaceship materialized out of thin air and a couple of aliens got out to ask for directions to some galaxy. ;)

• Replies 30.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• DJR

• Frosty

• NotSoBigBen

Top Posters In This Topic

I found this quite funny. A public road and they are advising you that cars test their speed here. All you need now is Leon Schuster to man a speed trap

Jip, top end testing is, or rather was, done here regularly.

Flying to the Northern Cape you see an "oval track" (MASSIVE oval) where they also do endurance testing of prototypes .....

This actually has a no-fly zone .... which just means some of the local farmers "dice" the cars along this track in their small planes ....  :whistling:   :ph34r:

Jip, top end testing is, or rather was, done here regularly.

Flying to the Northern Cape you see an "oval track" (MASSIVE oval) where they also do endurance testing of prototypes .....

This actually has a no-fly zone .... which just means some of the local farmers "dice" the cars along this track in their small planes ....  :whistling:   :ph34r:

Yeah, they also have a massive parking lot at the oval track where they park the cars for weeks to see how the paint and interior hold up in the sun/heat.

Thanks for the nostalgia guys! Now I miss that part of the world.

Here's the oval track (If I remember correctly it's almost 15km..more or less 3x the distance of an average F1 track's length):

(-29.068783, 19.847303)

post-119556-0-94085100-1611298622_thumb.jpg

post-119556-0-35650700-1611298636_thumb.jpg

Edited by JohanDiv

ANYTHING is possible, especially the improbable, in a place like that.

We spent some time at Verneukpan (where Malcolm Campbell attempted a land speed record in the 1920s, I think) and I always found it totally surreal. I would not have been at all surprised if a spaceship materialized out of thin air and a couple of aliens got out to ask for directions to some galaxy. ;)

Speaking of Verneukpan

https://farridemag.com/journal/dust

Speaking of Verneukpan

https://farridemag.com/journal/dust

THANKS for posting that. Some truly spectacular photographs of an amazing place. I did not ride a bike there, but we did a "world land speed record" for a Land Rover Defender, in low range, loaded to the gunnels, with a 6 year old behind the wheel, on Malcolm Campbells 1929 track. Stuff that legends are made of! Oh, and we played a hockey game. With no lines and no goals! Totally unlimited! Like he place!

Edited by DJR

3rd shot. Think it was 5.30am ish.

Which way are you heading now ?

Been in the Uppington to Pofadder areas for work over the last few years.  2018 I even got to ride my MTB on some farms ....  Last February I even worked at the Kaxu solar power plant (super impressive, but not allowed to post those pics) ....

Can post this pic I took out of the plane of the Khi plant though ...

post-110956-0-47684500-1611319934_thumb.jpg

Die fotos laat my nou erg verlang na daai vlaktes !!

Been in the Uppington to Pofadder areas for work over the last few years.  2018 I even got to ride my MTB on some farms ....  Last February I even worked at the Kaxu solar power plant (super impressive, but not allowed to post those pics) ....

Waar die f*kols 'n meter hoog groei en oral is ...   :D

attachicon.gif20200309_080004.jpg

I wonder who got the contract to keep those mirrors clean...

Khi can be locals, but the two PV plants build after spend very little in our economy.

Both of these projects were driven by the Spanish.

They still have the majority share.  All regular maintenance is done by permanent staff.