• DJR

• Frosty

• NotSoBigBen

Top Posters In This Topic

This weekend :

Sunday : in the kogelberg reserve

Monday : in kleinmond

It was a beautiful weekend <3

Jealousy makes me nasty ......... be warned! ;)  :)

So, I did a short ride yesterday. Easy trail and only 10km out and back home. Easy right? - NOT FOR ME. Have not cycled in any way for the past 12 years. Built up a new bike just before lockdown last year and only rode up and down the street.

But then I hit the dirt yesterday. Yes I know I am unfit and overweight - I was expecting it to be tough and I am not scared of that. But what I did not expect was how uncomfortable and even scared I felt at some spots. Even the wooden bridges across some fences was a challenge - at first.

But I saw that, even in that short ride, I got some confidence back and it will be OK. Even if it's going to take a long time.

The only crap thing is, that I live on top of Jip de Jager, and no matter what direction I ride, I have a moerse hill to finish. So, if you see a fluffy guy next to Jip de Jager either riding slower than walking pace or pushing his bike, give me a hoot or an energy bar. I might not talk back as my lungs are trying to escape my chest.

See you guys/girls out there. I will be easy to spot - I am the slowest one.

Jealousy makes me nasty ......... be warned! ;)  :)

that kogelberg reserve ride was a proper adventure. 15 minutes in and you already feel so far from everything. Plus the trail is actually quite fun to ride, some nice rock gardens, it's not just a gravel road. Looking forward to going back.

Did you do the gap jump over the little river ?  :w00t:

the gap at the end of Afterburner I skipped. Lack of skill and rear suspension (hardtail)???? everything else was easy and fun even the valley of Daftness ????

the gap at the end of Afterburner I skipped. Lack of skill and rear suspension (hardtail) everything else was easy and fun even the valley of Daftness

I would have normally ridden around it but man all the jumps leading to this one are built so perfect it really made me feel like I knew what I was doing  :w00t:  :w00t:  That and the group that was waiting at the bottom to finally see someone do it  :lol:

Edited by Jbr

I would have normally ridden around it but man all the jumps leading to this one are built so perfect it really made me feel like I knew what I was doing  :w00t:  :w00t:  That and the group that was waiting at the bottom to finally see someone do it  :lol:

it's usually the group pressure that gets you into trouble ???? luckily I don't know any of the people who I was riding with or where the nearest hospital was so I chose to live ????????

that kogelberg reserve ride was a proper adventure. 15 minutes in and you already feel so far from everything. Plus the trail is actually quite fun to ride, some nice rock gardens, it's not just a gravel road. Looking forward to going back.

Do you need a permit to ride there?

Yes, unfortunately the office only opens at 7:30.... I was there at 6:30... Most gates were open except for one, and the only time I saw someone the entire ride was at that gate, the guy asked me to help him put the code on the padlock because his eyes were not so good in the dark. I thought I’d pay at the exit because I was following a strava route that someone else did recently and I saw you could rejoin the road on the other side... thing is that exit has a fence and nobody operates it so you have to jump over it.

I wasn’t very comfortable riding through some of the rock gardens flat out (I had 3x30mins at 270w that day) knowing that no-one in the world knew I was there, and half of the time I had no signal.

I definitely want to do it again, but next time I would prefer not to be all alone, because it is safer but also because it is an experience worth sharing !