Where has your bike taken you today?

An3

16 hours ago, copperhead said:

When were you here?

Think it was Jan/ Feb? Also love the Karoo open spaces and long roads with the noisy silence.  But the headwind.... Guys at Safari campsite were great and this is why the people in the Karoo are very special.  

• Replies 30.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• DJR

• Frosty

• NotSoBigBen

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, NotSoBigBen said:

From a cracker local club TT race yesterday afternoon,  to the ER this morning after a pretty fast gravel bike fall ????

Had to be 'stitched' in layers the doc said, 7 internal and 13 external

sterkte oom

14 hours ago, NotSoBigBen said:

From a cracker local club TT race yesterday afternoon,  to the ER this morning after a pretty fast gravel bike fall ????

IMG_20210515_161259_050.jpg

20210516_090301.jpg

eish heal up soon !

17 hours ago, NotSoBigBen said:

IMG_20210515_161259_050.jpg

20210516_090301.jpg

That looks eina, heal up soon!

26 minutes ago, 'Dale said:

5 degrees means longer warm-up ????

D07AABA8-B816-4FBA-A89A-E6D413D81238.jpeg

We are one strange bunch ....

When the "no 1" says we MUST wear a buff we rebel .... this time of year we quickly dig out the buff again ....  :P

So ... the road bike seems to be out of action for a while.  This means I will be spending more time on the MTB.  So Saturday a buddy and myself decided to up a hill called Blomberg not too far from us and brush up on our non existing MTB skills. He put the destination into Komoot and said to use MTB. Komoot didn't dissapoint wrt to route suggestions.  We hardly did tar sections and we did it all, dirtroad, single track, grass fields, rocky downhills, you name.

image.png.1917e2ffce7dd11ce079dc7b36f58f15.png

image.png.d9af07a37db030c87882a78d63f738c3.png

image.png.0dc4ab07aeceb3c12b1d1e0fa589badf.png

A decent long climb made up for a pretty nice view.

image.png.9e19c9de9a207ff7bc60f4eefb839964.png

image.png.8eb3e4a316711961945d3cc4b0f1f066.png

Oh and we took a beer and something to eat to swallow down while enjoying the view.

image.png.7ad7e0158d53a752ae7eb3e3c2ff603f.png

image.png.722726f402c28b7eeca05e705d009fe0.png

And to finish off my friend stopped us where a bee keeper he know was busy harvesting honey.  First time in my life I had fresh honey. It was bloody delicious to say the least.

49 minutes ago, Bateleur1 said:

image.png.722726f402c28b7eeca05e705d009fe0.png

And to finish off my friend stopped us where a bee keeper he know was busy harvesting honey.  First time in my life I had fresh honey. It was bloody delicious to say the least.

One of the very best luxuries in life that! Also, a super energy gel! (My father used to keep bees)

On 4/13/2021 at 8:18 AM, fanievb said:

seeing the doc tomorrow to get the stitches out. swelling is down quite a bit and stays that way if I elevate the foot. I can sit behind my desk for about an hour at a time.

ja, that blood-rushing business is blerrie painful.

How's your progress on recovery?  I'm still battling, cast off bit more than a week now and I'm supposed to put partial weight on it but its still flippen sore.  Biggest problem is motion range, tried to get on to the indoor trainer but that was a failure ????

On 5/17/2021 at 8:58 AM, fanievb said:

not even the wind could keep me off the bike yesterday

How on earth can you be back on a bike again?  Please tell me your recovery secrets ... 

Just now, TheoG said:

How's your progress on recovery?  I'm still battling, cast off bit more than a week now and I'm supposed to put partial weight on it but its still flippen sore.  Biggest problem is motion range, tried to get on to the indoor trainer but that was a failure ????

Eish, I have no issue with range of motion. Started partial weight bearing at around 3 weeks (one crutch) and full weight at 5 weeks.

Saw doc on the 14th and got the all clear to resume training, but to listen to my body and not do anything stupid (whatever that means). He explained to me that wearing a cast/boot restricts the healing process for ligaments which is why he ops for no post-op support (other than crutches) for athletes or physically active people.

I've been doing exercises since 2 days after my op, which helped keep the achillies and his tjommies flexible. 

I got on the IDT 2 weeks post-op, but is was uncomfortable, but consistent stretching and light spinning sorted that out (started some crit racing on zwift????). 

Ligaments are still tender, but that should hopefully get better as training resumes. Ankle is also swollen and will probably stay that way until the ligaments are properly healed.