Where has your bike taken you today?

An3

9 minutes ago, Wayne pudding Mol said:

I don’t like to call what I do training but I’m doing the swartberg grand fondo in august and have been riding up a lot of hills lately

this hill is 10km from my house and I have serious concerns about my ability to ride swartberg pass with 142km under the belt 

How long is Swartberg pass?
And how long do you think it will take you, based on your current climbing ability?
Breaking it up into manageable sections will help you get over it, and then you can "train" for it in your area but doing repeats.

• Replies 30.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• DJR

• Frosty

• NotSoBigBen

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, Frosty said:

How long is Swartberg pass?
And how long do you think it will take you, based on your current climbing ability?
Breaking it up into manageable sections will help you get over it, and then you can "train" for it in your area but doing repeats.

From Prince Albert side ....

About 550m climb in less than 6km.

The bit that got to me .... 30 to 40m of steep climb, then over a "speed bump", erosion hump .... suddenly you over spin .... and you hardly touch the gear shifter and you are up the next steep section ....  I just could not find a rythm .....

Not sure how the other side is on a bicycle

21 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

From Prince Albert side ....

About 550m climb in less than 6km.

The bit that got to me .... 30 to 40m of steep climb, then over a "speed bump", erosion hump .... suddenly you over spin .... and you hardly touch the gear shifter and you are up the next steep section ....  I just could not find a rythm .....

Not sure how the other side is on a bicycle

From the Oudtshoorn side I find it more of a bitch. It is steeper and it gets steeper the higher you go. You start easy enough, then when your legs get tired, it gets steep, when your legs are really screaming, then it gets REALLY steep. It also makes you think once or twice that the Top is just around the next bend......and then there is another bend....and another one. The only way for me is to just pace myself and grind it slowly and as steadily as possible. I've never measured it, but the Oudtshoorn side is shorter than the Prince Albert side. But just to be clear, I'm not moaning, I LOVE it!

3 minutes ago, DJR said:

From the Oudtshoorn side I find it more of a bitch. It is steeper and it gets steeper the higher you go. You start easy enough, then when your legs get tired, it gets steep, when your legs are really screaming, then it gets REALLY steep. It also makes you think once or twice that the Top is just around the next bend......and then there is another bend....and another one. The only way for me is to just pace myself and grind it slowly and as steadily as possible. I've never measured it, but the Oudtshoorn side is shorter than the Prince Albert side. But just to be clear, I'm not moaning, I LOVE it!

Agreed, NO complaints.

It has to be on the bucket list for all cyclists ????

Never done it, but would like to one day.
For those in GP, how would this one compare to, say, Breedts Nek? That way I can (sort of) understand.

12 hours ago, ChrisF said:

What a stunning afternoon on the trails.

Actually left home ... then turned back for my gilet and arm warmers .... nice warm afternoon, but a thick mist over the trails and the moisture in the air had a proper bite to it.  All the better for a nice hard ride without over-heating.

The LEAST people I have ever seen on the trails !!!  In fact, NOBODY on the trails at Bloemendal, past the mast nor at Contermanskloof.  Think I did almost 35km before I saw the first person on the trails.  Weird being the ONLY person at Dairy Shed .... and Saturday it was so busy I did not even join the line to order coffee.

I ordered an Americano .... the waiter asks: "Like me or like you?"  Huh .... sorry, like what?  He asks again, with a BIG smile on his face ..... I had to ask again .... He laughs, and says: "Black or white?" :whistling:

The coffee at Dairy Shed is tops. But honestly why anyone would want to ruin a perfect cup of coffee with milk is beyond me...

My favourite Contermans trifecta is a run down Black Rhino starting at the mast followed by a slice of carrot cake heaven and finished off with a black Americano. Perfection.

I did a similar ride to yours in January. I started at Dairy Shed (also alone) and then ascended to Oatlands corridor and crossed over to the Oatlands Link and went to Hoogekraal where I ascended Spyker's Hill and then down Welvergenoegd and up to Malanshoogte and down and back up to Oatlands and then up and over to Supertubes and finished down Crazy Corners. In all that time I never came across a single other person on the trails. It was sublime. Risky, but sublime. My legs were jelly but I had a fat smile.

It was pretty dark and cold (8-9°) this morning... I'm now eager to fly to france for a month of summer even if I'm going to miss my bikes :(

11 hours ago, Frosty said:

Never done it, but would like to one day.
For those in GP, how would this one compare to, say, Breedts Nek? That way I can (sort of) understand.

From Oudtshoorn side I think it's 12 to 14km with some decent pitches of 14 to 16% close to 1km long in places.

It flattens out in a few places but then kicks up when you go round corners you didn't think existed. With 145km in the legs it's brutal. Last time we did the race it was a week after 2 Oceans and my fast muscles were ded from running what I thought was a fast 56km. It hurt me hard.

I've only ever done it from the PA side on Freedom Challenge in the middle of the night and it was definitely less of a thing, but maybe that's just my romantic FC memories playing back without the pain

13 hours ago, Wayne pudding Mol said:

I don’t like to call what I do training but I’m doing the swartberg grand fondo in august and have been riding up a lot of hills lately

this hill is 10km from my house and I have serious concerns about my ability to ride swartberg pass with 142km under the belt 

3FE17777-E3CC-40EC-881F-9EAE5E28D21B.jpeg

E3B669EF-B470-4F2E-B561-F0F823AA299C.jpeg

I'll be there too. If I see that lovely bike I'll be sure to greet it's owner. 

2 hours ago, Jbr said:

It was pretty dark and cold (8-9°) this morning... I'm now eager to fly to france for a month of summer even if I'm going to miss my bikes :(

You going to watch Le Tour?

2 minutes ago, Long Wheel Base said:

You going to watch Le Tour?

No, my 2yo has never seen her country and hasn't seen her grandparents since when she was 6 months so we're braving quarantine and all that BS to go over there for a month so that we can catch up a bit with the family. 

Worst part is I go to cycling heaven for a month but can't bring my bike with ????

1 hour ago, Jbr said:

No, my 2yo has never seen her country and hasn't seen her grandparents since when she was 6 months so we're braving quarantine and all that BS to go over there for a month so that we can catch up a bit with the family. 

Worst part is I go to cycling heaven for a month but can't bring my bike with ????

Rent one?

Throw some shoes, pedals and kit into the hand luggage and just rent a bike. There are plenty of places depending on where you go.

One does not simply go to France and NOT ride a bike. 

But seriously, enjoy. I hope it's safe and awesome. Seeing family and putting your toes in your home soil is priceless

1 hour ago, Jbr said:

7 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Rent one?

Throw some shoes, pedals and kit into the hand luggage and just rent a bike. There are plenty of places depending on where you go.

One does not simply go to France and NOT ride a bike. 

But seriously, enjoy. I hope it's safe and awesome. Seeing family and putting your toes in your home soil is priceless

I used these guys two years ago while in France and rented a bike for a week. Best... decision... ever...

https://bcyclet.com/

Very professional and easy to use.

35 minutes ago, worriesnot said:

I used these guys two years ago while in France and rented a bike for a week. Best... decision... ever...

https://bcyclet.com/

Very professional and easy to use.

yass I asked on french forums and got no good answer and now I have to just mention my trip on the hub to finally have a decent option, thanks for that !

I found rentals around hotspots like Mt Ventoux but I can't go from 12hrs/600+TSS a week to nothing for 6 weeks...  or maybe just a couple runs to hotspots where I can rent something.

I'll ask around Lyon if I can find a decent road bike otherwise I'll just ride my stepdads hardtail with my road pedals/shoes it will be better than nothing. Then most probably use these guys for when we stay in Marseille at the in laws ! 

Edited by Jbr