Where has your bike taken you today?

An3

17 hours ago, Frosty said:

How long is Swartberg pass?
And how long do you think it will take you, based on your current climbing ability?
Breaking it up into manageable sections will help you get over it, and then you can "train" for it in your area but doing repeats.

The pass is a tough climb and I’ve done it both ways a few times - for a not so light guy I climb ok as I have no option where I live but to up my climbing game - what scares me is doing this monster with 140 odd km in my legs - I go over 100km only a few times a year and generally on a road bike which is faster so this is going to be a test - I plan to ride a 100km once a week from this weekend leading up to around the pot 24th of July which will be my first 100 miler 

I am capable of 10 hours in the saddle I’ve discovered this year and I can ride 100km 3 days in a row at a non race pace

For me this will be a challenge I think so I hope to go and climb it once or twice before race day 

I am also definitely taking some light walking shoes and will shamelessly change into them and push if I need to 

• Replies 30.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• DJR

• Frosty

• NotSoBigBen

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Jbr said:

yass I asked on french forums and got no good answer and now I have to just mention my trip on the hub to finally have a decent option, thanks for that !

I found rentals around hotspots like Mt Ventoux but I can't go from 12hrs/600+TSS a week to nothing for 6 weeks...  or maybe just a couple runs to hotspots where I can rent something.

I'll ask around Lyon if I can find a decent road bike otherwise I'll just ride my stepdads hardtail with my road pedals/shoes it will be better than nothing. Then most probably use these guys for when we stay in Marseille at the in laws ! 

I've used these guys for group hires before
https://www.francebikerentals.com/

15 bikes hired from them, no issues. (except I think one or two didn't come with a 32 rear which caused more complaining than anything else)

19 minutes ago, travisza said:

I've used these guys for group hires before
https://www.francebikerentals.com/

15 bikes hired from them, no issues. (except I think one or two didn't come with a 32 rear which caused more complaining than anything else)

Thanks also so goods affordable options, I'll start looking into it ;)

1 hour ago, Wayne pudding Mol said:

The pass is a tough climb and I’ve done it both ways a few times - for a not so light guy I climb ok as I have no option where I live but to up my climbing game - what scares me is doing this monster with 140 odd km in my legs - I go over 100km only a few times a year and generally on a road bike which is faster so this is going to be a test - I plan to ride a 100km once a week from this weekend leading up to around the pot 24th of July which will be my first 100 miler 

I am capable of 10 hours in the saddle I’ve discovered this year and I can ride 100km 3 days in a row at a non race pace

For me this will be a challenge I think so I hope to go and climb it once or twice before race day 

I am also definitely taking some light walking shoes and will shamelessly change into them and push if I need to 

I guess if the pass is rideable, by us fun riders, it is something one can train for, eg. doing sweet spot intervals so you get used to going somewhat hard, recover, somewhat hard, recovery, repeated many times over (all below the red-line).

I once read that walking repeats up a climb is also training. ????

Just now, Frosty said:

I guess if the pass is rideable, by us fun riders, it is something one can train for, eg. doing sweet spot intervals so you get used to going somewhat hard, recover, somewhat hard, recovery, repeated many times over (all below the red-line).

Oh boy...

2 hours ago, Wayne pudding Mol said:

I've pushed up sections of the pass during the race. I did not feel shame. 

If you stick to your training plan you will smash the race. 

1 hour ago, Patchelicious said:

Oh boy...

Please expand on your comment; maybe more than one other person will benefit from it.

Nothing below counter argument will be allowed.

79C9B648-61C3-4980-9C32-7086FA284637.png

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

Don't, just don't. ????

9 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Please expand on your comment; maybe more than one other person will benefit from it.

Nothing below counter argument will be allowed.

79C9B648-61C3-4980-9C32-7086FA284637.png

Polarized sunglasses ????

12 minutes ago, Patchelicious said:

Pump those rim brakes. Its just a little joke having a jab at the likes of @J Wakefield and @Jarred

Is @Jarred still on here? (old Tim Henman) 

4 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

I've pushed up sections of the pass during the race. I did not feel shame. 

If you stick to your training plan you will smash the race. 

I’ve put a laugh here - smash it I won’t - mash it and survive the cutoff 

smash it was what I thought I was doing up a hill here the other day when a boy so underdeveloped he looked like a pre teen girl whizzed passed me and said “dag oom” as he cruised out of sight while I was full gas 

13 minutes ago, Wayne pudding Mol said:

smash it was what I thought I was doing up a hill here the other day when a boy so underdeveloped he looked like a pre teen girl whizzed passed me and said “dag oom” as he cruised out of sight while I was full gas 

I was PUSHING myself to complete the Fine Breede in a personal record time ....

I was beginning to see stars ....

The longer route joined up for the last section ... with less than a km to go I gave it my all ....

En hier kom n laerskool bliksimpie verby my met n moerse smile: "Hello oom"

In that moment my ego hurt worse than my legs and lungs ....

2 hours ago, Wayne pudding Mol said:

getting up and over and beating cut off IS smashing it!

19 hours ago, Jbr said:

yass I asked on french forums and got no good answer and now I have to just mention my trip on the hub to finally have a decent option, thanks for that !

I found rentals around hotspots like Mt Ventoux but I can't go from 12hrs/600+TSS a week to nothing for 6 weeks...  or maybe just a couple runs to hotspots where I can rent something.

I'll ask around Lyon if I can find a decent road bike otherwise I'll just ride my stepdads hardtail with my road pedals/shoes it will be better than nothing. Then most probably use these guys for when we stay in Marseille at the in laws ! 

You can thank me by posting lekker pics here when you there riding.