Where has your bike taken you today?

An3

12 hours ago, RocknRolla said:

Winter is for sleeping in, and only riding when the temps are reasonable.

I have often, because of my statement above, wondered why there are so many individuals out riding at ridiculous temperatures in winter.

there is something special about being out there, early morning, whilst everyone is snuggled up in bed, you get back, hot and sweaty, and everyone else is trying to drink a steaming hot cup of coffee to warm up. After a hot shower and getting into warm clothing you internal warmth carries you through to the warmer part of the day.

But

The past couple of weeks I have not been able to mentally push myself to get out there in the morning, I know once I'm out there I'm fine, but the mental will power to get out there has held me back. Add to the fact that due to work I have been unable to take advantage of the warmer part of the day I'm feeling pretty miserable with myself right now.

Todays weather would have been great to be out there before work. ????

• Replies 30.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• DJR

• Frosty

• NotSoBigBen

Top Posters In This Topic

44 minutes ago, ouzo said:

there is something special about being out there, early morning, whilst everyone is snuggled up in bed, you get back, hot and sweaty, and everyone else is trying to drink a steaming hot cup of coffee to warm up. After a hot shower and getting into warm clothing you internal warmth carries you through to the warmer part of the day.

But

The past couple of weeks I have not been able to mentally push myself to get out there in the morning, I know once I'm out there I'm fine, but the mental will power to get out there has held me back. Add to the fact that due to work I have been unable to take advantage of the warmer part of the day I'm feeling pretty miserable with myself right now.

So true, that early morning activity is the best. I would reckon and early winter morning surf is the absolute best.

I have also been struggling of late to get up early. However I feel so drained and I am blaming covid.

2 hours ago, ouzo said:

But

2 hours ago, Eddy Gordo said:

So true, that early morning activity is the best. I would reckon and early winter morning surf is the absolute best.

I have also been struggling of late to get up early. However I feel so drained and I am blaming covid.

Feel the same as you guys, last year this time I was on the bike at 04:30 for a ride, got home and felt so good for the day after a bath, this year, there is just 0 motivation, cant even get myself up to be on the IDT in the morning, but I at least get on the IDT in the evening.....

51 minutes ago, Chadvdw67 said:

Feel the same as you guys, last year this time I was on the bike at 04:30 for a ride, got home and felt so good for the day after a bath, this year, there is just 0 motivation, cant even get myself up to be on the IDT in the morning, but I at least get on the IDT in the evening.....

Long Covid, it messes with the motivation, I tell yea ????

My motivation is enough to get the training done, albeit a little below what I should be doing. Not much on the racing front, so no need to be training for that. Enjoyment is that motivation.

Winter mornings are okay, the right gear makes sure of it. However, the lifestyle insists I fit training into afternoon sessions. Poor preparation during the day makes it harder to hit the numbers in the PM compared to the AM.

4 reasons to train at or around sunrise:

1. Own the morning; it sets the tone for the rest of the day.

2. Golden Hour is just beautiful, like meeting God, so to speak.

3. There's a peace around, like no other.

4. Gotta light the braai at 11h00 to cook my sweet potatoes on the coals for lunch.

I've been struggling with a knee injury I picked up at the MacMac200 miler last month.

Nothing can keep me in bed in the mornings now that I can (sort of)run and ride again. I missed getting up, tiptoeing round the house so as not to wake the wife and kid, watching the sunrise (which is now at the tail end of the ride/run) and getting home in time to start work buzzing from the endorphins. 

Next big race is in October now, so it's also nice to be able to ease back into it as everything clicks back into place.

It helps that there looks to be plenty of swell on the way too!

55 minutes ago, 'Dale said:

4. Gotta light the braai at 11h00 to cook my sweet potatoes on the coals for lunch.

number 3 is why I make a point of going out on new years day before everyone wakes up

1 hour ago, 'Dale said:

JIP !!

For most of the year this is how I prefer to ride .... on the return trip by the time the rest wakes up.

May I got caught in thick fog twice .... apart from the dangers, it was damn cold .... now I sleep in and ride later .....  still prefer the early morning rides though.

2 hours ago, 'Dale said:

Detraining for a 5 days or so. I miss her already. ????

Image 2021-06-17 at 13.13.jpg

Do you run at all? Just curious.

I find it helps me keeps the stress levels down when away on business, and there aren’t any baie sukkels available.

7 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Do you run at all? Just curious.

I find it helps me keeps the stress levels down when away on business, and there aren’t any baie sukkels available.

I spend my time on the yoga mat and with bodyweight exercises, occasionally gym for some light weights @Frosty 

10 minutes ago, J∆kk∆ls said:

Lull before the storm. 

PXL_20210616_095725141.jpg.e035762bf5de3f5ec91055967b5229f5.jpg

where did you buy those bibs ?