Where has your bike taken you today?

An3

40 minutes ago, Danger Dassie said:

Actually not a bad thing in the long run, chat to Wendell. Balwin are incorporating the trail network and Wendell will have a more formalised venue area. 

I just hate Balwin as a matter of course. They cram in as much as they can into an area. Built to be cheapAF with zero consideration for the environment or nature. I don't know if you heard about how they built over a fuel line in the South. That is a major stuff up and no ways they can claim ignorance of the fuel line. Methinks they are greasing many palms to get approvals etc.

• Replies 30.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• DJR

• Frosty

• NotSoBigBen

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, thebob said:

I just hate Balwin as a matter of course. They cram in as much as they can into an area. Built to be cheapAF with zero consideration for the environment or nature. I don't know if you heard about how they built over a fuel line in the South. That is a major stuff up and no ways they can claim ignorance of the fuel line. Methinks they are greasing many palms to get approvals etc.

Having been through a previous bad experience with developers here in the south many years ago I am suspicious of what they will actually go through with despite their assurances. 

However I sincerely hope for both Wendell and Graham (by extension for all of us riders). that everything works out well! 

On 6/23/2021 at 10:56 AM, ouzo said:

just did a zone 2 cruise on the IDT yesterday. Don't want to push things just yet.

Went for a Rapid COVID test yesterday and came back positive, so decided to go and get a lab test done to be sure, so don't really want to push things until I have the results. I don't have any symptoms, but 4 or 5 people that I work with tested positive, hence the test.

I had very mild cold symptoms two weeks ago which disappeared after 4 days. I decided to be cautious and go for a covid test which came back positive. So now I am doing 7km rides around the estate at a very sedate pace for a week and then building up week by week for the next month.

I cannot believe I am being this sensible. But a number of my old teammates have died already so best I be patient rather than be a patient

Gary Fisher and I felt brave and took the cycle lane through Paardeneiland to the city and back.More worried about getting a flat from all the glass and metal bits than being bikejacked.City cops on duty along the route.Had to stop at Espresso Bakery for a reward!!

20210624_114907-1.jpg

29 minutes ago, Jbr said:

Sneaky lunchtime ride in the sun (but cold), guess I’ll have to go back out after work with the little one for the active recovery part ????

64E43094-74D7-4A50-BCB1-B8A42873D59E.jpeg

Good man. Not all rides should be measured in TSS, but also the happiness metric.

4 hours ago, Bernard Horn said:

Gary Fisher and I felt brave and took the cycle lane through Paardeneiland to the city and back.More worried about getting a flat from all the glass and metal bits than being bikejacked.City cops on duty along the route.Had to stop at Espresso Bakery for a reward!!

20210624_114907-1.jpg

5 hours ago, I FLY said:

I had very mild cold symptoms two weeks ago which disappeared after 4 days. I decided to be cautious and go for a covid test which came back positive. So now I am doing 7km rides around the estate at a very sedate pace for a week and then building up week by week for the next month.

I cannot believe I am being this sensible. But a number of my old teammates have died already so best I be patient rather than be a patient

My results came back negative. But I’ll be doing zone 2 rides for a little longer just in case. 

Yep, I have noticed a very marked deterioration in the cycle path all the way from Paardeneiland to Melkbos. Its littered with glass without break for almost the entire distance. In fact its so bad that I am averaging 1 puncture per 100km at the moment - on a brand new gravel bike with 600km on teh clock - so good new tyres - even fitted with tyre liners.

I have found the road alongside the Blaawberg / Melkbos section to be almost spotless in comparison, just run the risk of being hit by a car (or shouted at by a fellow cyclist for not using the cycle path!) so it looks very much like the cycle path is deliberately being spoilt.

15 minutes ago, Never too many bikes said:

Yep, I have noticed a very marked deterioration in the cycle path all the way from Paardeneiland to Melkbos. Its littered with glass without break for almost the entire distance. In fact its so bad that I am averaging 1 puncture per 100km at the moment - on a brand new gravel bike with 600km on teh clock - so good new tyres - even fitted with tyre liners.

I have found the road alongside the Blaawberg / Melkbos section to be almost spotless in comparison, just run the risk of being hit by a car (or shouted at by a fellow cyclist for not using the cycle path!) so it looks very much like the cycle path is deliberately being spoilt.

The problem really lies in it not being used like it used to pre Covid

20 minutes ago, Never too many bikes said:

or shouted at by a fellow cyclist for not using the cycle path

????

Yep, fellow cyclist felt the need to berate me for riding inside the very narrow yellow lane on the road instead of the cycle path between Melkbos and Blaawberg.

I guess everyone is entitled to an opinion so I just ignored him, but he was pretty obnoxious.

I hear the lower use as a result of Covid dea, but what is odd for me is that between Melkbos and Blaawberg you find maybe 2 or 3 patches of glass in the road, but literally you find only 200 m of cycle path free of glass. So how does all this glass end up in the cycle lane and not the road? - especially as there is a cement barrier between the two so its not being washed off the road by rain or scattered by car tyres to the side of the road and onto the cycle path. Its crossed my mind that its an attempt to stop cyclists for some reason.

I've almost given up riding the cycle path now between the muggings and puncture repair practice i've been blessed with. 

Edited by Never too many bikes

I just run tubeless.

honnestly depending of the day and the time of the day I’ll ride either on the road or on the cycle path between TV and Milnerton and both are full of glass. It’s just idiots throwing their bottles out the windows vs vagrants throwing their bottles while walking on the cycle paths. I don’t think it’s targeted to us.

And for the guy who shouted at you, damn people should really start minding their own ******* business…

Edited by Jbr

1 hour ago, ouzo said:

My results came back negative. But I’ll be doing zone 2 rides for a little longer just in case. 

Good luck with your "recovery" - keep safe.