• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• DJR

• Frosty

• NotSoBigBen

Top Posters In This Topic

44 minutes ago, DJR said:

Guy by the name of Robert Ruark said "Use Enough Gun".........I think that goes for bikes too! No use being under-biked! 

Agree,well at least that’s what I used to think. But the kind of terrain i ride nowadays i need very little if any at all. Lost my minerals 

10 hours ago, ChrisF said:

@ DJR

What a nice there and back ride 

I am so jealous. I was there in July, but did not take a bike along........had other activities that took up the little time we had available. The young Ds did make time to do some bouldering in the Prince Albert side entrance though.

IMG_1181.JPG

17 minutes ago, DJR said:

I am so jealous. I was there in July, but did not take a bike along........had other activities that took up the little time we had available. The young Ds did make time to do some bouldering in the Prince Albert side entrance though.

IMG_1181.JPG

The pass is in 99,8% condition.  Totally resurfaced after the snow.  The road crew was busy with an erosion hump yesterday.  Just the section at De Hell entrance that is a bit corrugated.

Prince Albert .... the transition to an art town continues .... even more art gallaries than last year.  Lots of properties up for sale .... couple of guest houses changed names in the last 12 months.  

Some pics of yesterday's ride .....

From Schoemans Hoek, 15km outside Oudtshoorn, over Swartberg pass to Prince Albert .... and back

SBP-21.jpg.82515931585504446269d38bd2d88dd6.jpg

Uhm .... that 22km to the pass has just over 740m climbing to wake up the legs ....

SBP-27.jpg.f054fb55cd1724f9fa53099a9614fffc.jpg

SBP-31.jpg.73f1c6cfb2bcbc87244921c03e93b73c.jpg

SBP-37.jpg.835adc1f2fda9b025a08ac336a513702.jpg

Okay, almost 1 200m climbing done, time to give the brakes a work out .... :clap:

A lekka brunch at Lazy Lizzard ... and a chat with another e-biker.  Recovering from cancer this gent got himself an e-bike and just completed a 5-day circular route.  Starting in Prince Albert he turned at Beaufort West, back via De Ruts, over Swartberg pass back to Prince Albert.  

On the way back to the pass the temperature rose ever so slightly .... in the shade with the slight breeze it was still "cool".  But out in the sun and shielded from the breeze I would over heat ..... keeping the e-assist LOW to make sure I have juice to get back meant I was WORKING up that mountain !!!

SBP-38.jpg.ae705fdddb07bfc58b3488f17dc87685.jpg

NOT a nice sight when you are over heating and working your way to the top ....

SBP-40.jpg.1ea2ce16ba77b9d24c7a1fcc73a5eef3.jpg

And then you get to look back, and instantly it is all worth it .... :clap:

O-crap .... that last 100m elevation to the top had me suffering properly ..... GLAD for those winter sessions on the infernal IDT ....

SBP-41.jpg.cb60b5707aabed1645be38cdaf4fb5ef.jpg

Aaaahhhh .... 1 100m downhill ..... (with just enough battery left to help with the odd uphill)

Edited by ChrisF

5 minutes ago, MTBeer said:

eish. don't play with wild animals. people never learn

These three were rescued at a few months old.  Parents were killed and tusks poached.

They were raised by the two staff members, feeding them milk from baby stage.

First time we saw, and fed them, was in 2007, at which stage they were "juveniles".

They literally sleep next to the staff members quarters.

As much as I agree with your sentiment, this is the only life these animals have ever known.

Just now, ChrisF said:

These three were rescued at a few months old.  Parents were killed and tusks poached.

They were raised by the two staff members, feeding them milk from baby stage.

First time we saw, and fed them, was in 2007, at which stage they were "juveniles".

They literally sleep next to the staff members quarters.

As much as I agree with your sentiment, this is the only life these animals have ever known.

sorry Chris didn't mean to have a go at you. There are just too many cases of people being killed / maimed by supposedly tame wild animals. And then the animal gets put down. Personally I wouldn't go near any wild animal that is capable of killing me.

Love your Swartberg photos by the way.

21 minutes ago, copperhead said:

My old man's spot in Simons Town. What a day to ride.

20210908_101119.jpg

Is that the Golf Course in the back ground? Had many a happy hack in the wind.

18 hours ago, copperhead said:

My old man's spot in Simons Town. What a day to ride.

20210908_101119.jpg

What a view and so green. Man what I am I doing back here in Gauteng  . Pictures like this seriously have me questioning my recent life choices. This may just be my new home screen for motivation. Love these kind of photos , love this thread!