• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• DJR

• Frosty

• NotSoBigBen

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, 'Dale said:

Itā€™s telescopic lens setting on my smartie phoneĀ ????

Nice. I was about to insert a funrider tag again.

Ā 

How many fasted rides you do a week? All my rides (99%) are fasted, my body is so used to it now, I only fuel before a ride if it's gonna be 140km+

43 minutes ago, TNT1 said:

Nice. I was about to insert a funrider tag again.

Ā 

How many fasted rides you do a week? All my rides (99%) are fasted, my body is so used to it now, I only fuel before a ride if it's gonna be 140km+

same here, except for me its anything over 80km where I'll try and fuel up.

But I read something an hour or so back saying to many fasted rides a week is also not good.

5 minutes ago, ouzo said:

same here, except for me its anything over 80km where I'll try and fuel up.

But I read something an hour or so back saying to many fasted rides a week is also not good.

I don't think it's a one size fits all thing, and you need to do what works for you, as I say, I've been doing this for decades, so my body is used to it.

Ā 

Ultimately, the theory is that, by training ā€˜lowā€™ but not at a detriment to your health, your body adapts to the demands of training without fuel and come race day, when youā€™ve eaten normally in the build-up, the extra fuel will improve your performance.Ā 

Ā 

ā€˜The theory is sound but thereā€™s no one prescription for each person ā€“ the frequency of these fasts should be set by your needs,ā€™ says Price. ā€˜For the athlete, the frequency is going to be a lot lower than the average Joe looking to lose some turkey weight.ā€™Ā 

Ā 

https://www.cyclist.co.uk/in-depth/1199/the-hunger-game-is-there-any-benefit-to-fasting

Ā 

Also, I generally have a very carb heavy diet, so fasted training helps the onset of ketosis.

4 minutes ago, TNT1 said:

I don't think it's a one size fits all thing, and you need to do what works for you, as I say, I've been doing this for decades, so my body is used to it.

agreed. I've also been doing it all my cycling life, and actually I feel sluggish if I eat first.

But have noticed on longer rides that i do finish stronger if I fuel on the ride, so have adapted my strategy to allow for this.

6 minutes ago, ouzo said:

agreed. I've also been doing it all my cycling life, and actually I feel sluggish if I eat first.

But have noticed on longer rides that i do finish stronger if I fuel on the ride, so have adapted my strategy to allow for this.

What's the time frame, before you ride, that you are eating?
I'll try find the study that showed that eating about 1 hour before riding, results in a good chance of hitting the wall sooner.Ā 

8 minutes ago, Frosty said:

I'll try find the study that showed that eating about 1 hour before riding, results in a good chance of hitting the wall sooner.Ā 

We should probably take this off to another thread, but for my part, on normal rides, I eat the night before and then try to go as long as possible after before eating again.

On long rides or races where I know I'll be going full gas, I will start fasted, but start eating about half an hour into the effort.

Edited by TNT1

15 minutes ago, Frosty said:

The sluggishness is felt before getting on the bike, I would say that it is if I eat within an hour before.

For races I'll normally eat before leaving home and just top up on the way there, so usually more than 1 hour before, for those I dont feel sluggish, but that also because I get nervous on the morning of an event and cant eat much (hence the topping up on my way to the event)

13 minutes ago, TNT1 said:

We should probably take this off to another thread, but for my part, on normal rides, I eat the night before and then try to go as long as possible after before eating again.

On long rides or races where I know I'll be going full gas, I will start fasted, but start eating about half an hour into the effort.

Second semi-derail post (our posts) in a week...Ā ā˜ŗļø
Unless of course someone's ride took them into a "wall".

Edited by Frosty

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

Ā 

As a diabetic, a fasted ride is not an option for me ....

Ā 

That said, I can eat "big" before a ride either .....Ā  For me, a serving of Pronutro seems to do the trick, at least 45 minutes before the ride, most other serials leaves me bloated ....

Ā 

This gets me past the 45km mark (further on level rides), then I my sugar levels start to drop ....Ā Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I have not tried any of the suppliments people put in their water bottles ..... seems most of these are loaded with "sugar" (in some form or other).

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

During my Swartberg pass I really could have done with a "diabetic friendly" suppliment in my water .....Ā  my searches have not yielded any threads on this (specific to diabetics).Ā  Any links would be welcomed.

2 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Ā 

As a diabetic, a fasted ride is not an option for me ....

Ā 

Type 2 or?

Ā 

Cause for type 2, fasting to get into ketosis is a win.