Where has your bike taken you today?

An3

7 minutes ago, Dusty said:

If anyone wants to do this area and the passes as a bikepacking ride, pop onto the massive adventures website and download the route from there. Their route is a circular one starting and ending in Lady Grey. Awesome place to ride (sometimes push) a bike.

Very interesting concept... In my biased personal opinion I would not be too keen to do the unsupported bikepacking thing in the area (if I am going to do 10,500m climbing over 530km I prefer not to carry lots of extra stuff on my bike) + there are basically nowhere to resupply outside of the larger towns so it will take careful planning - but I am sure there are a few nutjobs willing to take on a challenge like this.

There are certainly loads of scenic options, far more than what we could cover in 5 days at a generally leisurely pace.

One event to look out for for people interested in riding in the area is the Maloti 100 miler in September, didn't happen this year but might be resurrected next year. You ride from Barkley East to Maclear via Rhodes and the Naudesnek pass. Certain its proper tough but beatiful route.

• Replies 30.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• DJR

• Frosty

• NotSoBigBen

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

Dale - have you seen the Old Malmesbury road (past Kalbaskraal) roadworks are finished? One can now do a nice tar loop from Durbanville to Malmesbury instead of an out-and-back.

I heard, yes! Happiness. Used to roll it on the bumpy days during winter. 

4 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

Very interesting concept... In my biased personal opinion I would not be too keen to do the unsupported bikepacking thing in the area (if I am going to do 10,500m climbing over 530km I prefer not to carry lots of extra stuff on my bike) + there are basically nowhere to resupply outside of the larger towns so it will take careful planning - but I am sure there are a few nutjobs willing to take on a challenge like this.

There are certainly loads of scenic options, far more than what we could cover in 5 days at a generally leisurely pace.

One event to look out for for people interested in riding in the area is the Maloti 100 miler in September, didn't happen this year but might be resurrected next year. You ride from Barkley East to Maclear via Rhodes and the Naudesnek pass. Certain its proper tough but beatiful route.

I've done this 'nutter' route twice and am going back again this weekend. The area is simply stunning, but the climbing does make it tough. There is a surprising amount of accomodation at convenient distances along the way and the hosts, being farming people are very special. Planning is definately pretty crucial for bikepacking in remote areas. Most probably better to not do alone in case of a fall, but certainly one of the safest areas to ride a bike in South Africa in terms of traffic and security, in my opinion.

5 minutes ago, Dusty said:

I've done this 'nutter' route twice and am going back again this weekend. The area is simply stunning, but the climbing does make it tough. There is a surprising amount of accomodation at convenient distances along the way and the hosts, being farming people are very special. Planning is definately pretty crucial for bikepacking in remote areas. Most probably better to not do alone in case of a fall, but certainly one of the safest areas to ride a bike in South Africa in terms of traffic and security, in my opinion.

Agree, with the quiet roads & few people around we always felt save - never a given in our country... Good luck and remember to post your pics!

1 hour ago, 'Dale said:

R304 to Malmesbury

They have fixed up the Old Malmesbury Road (North of Philadelphia) so beautifully.

Edited by DJR

3 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Finally we can say adieu to the coldest winter Cape Town has had in many years. I'm normally a winter person, but I'm just about ready for summer now. Yay.

Must be age, but I forget quickly how cold the previous year was and the current one is always the coldest.
From a highveld side, I'm looking forward to some rain and the dry/dull colours to turn into vibrant colours.

50 minutes ago, DJR said:

They have fixed up the Old Malmesbury Road (North of Philadelphia) so beautifully.

damn, I need to go ride out that way. Havent in a long time, mostly cause almost no one wants to ride road. Gonna have to venture out on my own soon.

3 hours ago, 'Dale said:

R304 to Malmesbury

B89E2E2B-795D-447B-8A12-8860BCDCF8EA.jpeg

I rode here once. I started at Sunningdale and did a round-about ride to Meerendal, up the Dorstberg and down, and then up to Spez Bona before turning left and heading out this way. When I finally turned I got a devil wind in my face. That was the one time I finally relented by the time I reached Bloemendal and called my wife to come fetch me. I've never bothered since.

You road riders have my respect.

11 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I rode here once. I started at Sunningdale and did a round-about ride to Meerendal, up the Dorstberg and down, and then up to Spez Bona before turning left and heading out this way. When I finally turned I got a devil wind in my face. That was the one time I finally relented by the time I reached Bloemendal and called my wife to come fetch me. I've never bothered since.

You road riders have my respect.

Not a loop I would do without carefully checking the weather websites first... In winter you can sometimes find a few windless days, sometimes even the option to head home with a slight tailwind!

1 minute ago, Skubarra said:

Not a loop I would do without carefully checking the weather websites first... In winter you can sometimes find a few windless days, sometimes even the option to head home with a slight tailwind!

I was smashing PR's all the way to Spez Bona on the day. That also ended up being the day I almost pushed my bike up the hill on Wellington from Graanendal side. I stopped under those trees for nearly 20 minutes working up the courage to pedal that hill - which in cycling terms is more of a bump.

Massive bonk, partly due to the wind from hell.