Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• DJR

• Frosty

• NotSoBigBen

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Milosh said:

Where is this please ? 

The top pic is near the Yellow loop at Bottelery Hills and the bottom is heading up the Onrus River gorge in Hemel-en-aarde.

12 hours ago, Grease_Monkey said:

Good luck! Also recently had a knee injury - shredded my meniscus to bits, I knew for a long time it was stuffed (had the same injury in my other knee about 12 years ago), but ignored it, then stepped wrong one day in gym doing a deadlift/row/skipping EMOM combo and tore it to the point where I couldn't put weight on my leg. 

4 weeks post op now, 7 weeks on crutches so far with another 4 weeks to go. Only allowed back on the MTB in April next year. Indoor trainer only from the end of this year. This will be the longest I have not ridden since I started riding.  And I work in a bike shop, so it's not like I can take my mind off riding either!

Fun times. 

The crutches are the worst part. Can literally do nothing. And the timing sucks, my wife is 7 months pregnant and my first kid just started walking. So she is having a rough time of it. Also have 2 very ADHD dogs that have not been taken for a walk in nearly 2 months - they are a treat around the house. 

EDIT: Reading all the comments about hospital fees... this op came in at a total of just under 300k. Thank goodness for medical aid.  

Eish sorry to hear. I hope you also heal fast and fully.

I'm 8 hours post- surgery and I cannot feel my foot yet. I was given a nerve block by the aneasthetist and I pray its that since I was able to move my toes immediately after the doc woke me up.

Plate and 7 screws later into the ankle...

I'm with Bonitas. The doc is unaffiliated and the aneasthetist is but charges 200%....I do not have gap cover...ouch ????

2 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I'm 8 hours post- surgery and I cannot feel my foot yet. I was given a nerve block by the aneasthetist and I pray its that since I was able to move my toes immediately after the doc woke me up.

I'm with Bonitas. The doc is unaffiliated and the aneasthetist is but charges 200%....I do not have gap cover...ouch ????

Don't stress about the numbness, it is doing exactly what it is supposed to do, prevent post-op pain for the first 12 to 24 hours. 

Yes, gap cover is essential these days and quite cheap too.

Heal well and don't let the frustration get into your head.

50 minutes ago, DJR said:

Don't stress about the numbness, it is doing exactly what it is supposed to do, prevent post-op pain for the first 12 to 24 hours. 

Yes, gap cover is essential these days and quite cheap too.

Heal well and don't let the frustration get into your head.

I have extensive gap cover, didn't need to use any of it during my 2 hospital visits this year, Discovery covered all.  Considering to cancel.

8 minutes ago, TheoG said:

I have extensive gap cover, didn't need to use any of it during my 2 hospital visits this year, Discovery covered all.  Considering to cancel.

Don't cancel, would be my advice, especially since it is relatively cheap and can save you from a bad financial knock. It depends on what you need, who from and at which hospital. Usually the hospital part is well enough covered by medical aids like Discovery (which I belong to as well), but the other bit, especially the higher tech and more specialzed treatment, surgery etc, will often leave people with a nasty shortfall.

Having said this, I went without gap cover for many years because I am in the health business and I always trusted that I will end up with someone who would be kind enough to charge me whatever my medical aid will cover. The difference was small enough and I would reciprocate. But that gap has widened so much over the last decae or so, that I felt I was either taking advantage of my friends and colleagues or exposing myself to a too great a risk. So I have had gap cover for the last 10 years or so. 

3 minutes ago, DJR said:

Don't cancel, would be my advice, especially since it is relatively cheap and can save you from a bad financial knock. It depends on what you need, who from and at which hospital. Usually the hospital part is well enough covered by medical aids like Discovery (which I belong to as well), but the other bit, especially the higher tech and more specialzed treatment, surgery etc, will often leave people with a nasty shortfall.

Having said this, I went without gap cover for many years because I am in the health business and I always trusted that I will end up with someone who would be kind enough to charge me whatever my medical aid will cover. The difference was small enough and I would reciprocate. But that gap has widened so much over the last decae or so, that I felt I was either taking advantage of my friends and colleagues or exposing myself to a too great a risk. So I have had gap cover for the last 10 years or so. 

gap cover used to be cheap, not so much anymore. But it IS essential.

Although this year has hit me big time with medical bills for the kids, and just about everything is done out of hospital so gap cover doesnt cover and k@k medical aid, when they do cover, dont cover much.

6 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Thank your lucky stars your block worked. I was also given a block, but it took too low (from just below the knee to my foot). When I came out of surgery I could feel everything. And I am allergic to 90% of pain medication, the type I am not allergic to isn't effective for acute pain you experience after an op. The 72 hours after my op is easily the worst 72 hours I have ever experienced in my life.

But sterkte! The first two weeks post op is the worst, after that things get alot better quickly (in terms of pain and discomfort anyway). You're at least on the other side of it now and on the mend.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

7 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

Amble around Alberhoughton this morning ...

Anyone recall or know why it was referred to as 'Tussen Die Klippe' many years ago?

A quick hello at Jurassic Park as my mate Ivan (who happens to be a resident) calls it

20210930_075801.jpg

20210930_080424.jpg

Excellent!  I am also a member of the Jurassic era and find myself in one of these parks too.

2 hours ago, TheoG said:

I also wouldn't cover. Discovery paid everything for my op (surgeon and anesthetist only charged at 100% - professional courtesy, my wife is also a doc), but where I am needing gap is because my savings has been drained. After knee braces, crutches, MRI, lots and lots of physio, and meds that savings account goes very quickly. 

3 minutes ago, Grease_Monkey said:

Thank your lucky stars your block worked. I was also given a block, but it took too low (from just below the knee to my foot). When I came out of surgery I could feel everything. And I am allergic to 90% of pain medication, the type I am not allergic to isn't effective for acute pain you experience after an op. The 72 hours after my op is easily the worst 72 hours I have ever experienced in my life.

Seems like you've been having a real torrid time of it. Sorry about that. Thankfully I have so far not had much pain, even the break itself was sore but not excruciatingly so. I was even debating the paramedic about the need for morphine, which I only took since they planned to splint the leg, and I was unsure if it would hurt or not.

I was convinced I merely sprained my ankle. Turns out it was much worse.

1 minute ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Seems like you've been having a real torrid time of it. Sorry about that. Thankfully I have so far not had much pain, even the break itself was sore but not excruciatingly so. I was even debating the paramedic about the need for morphine, which I only took since they planned to splint the leg, and I was unsure if it would hurt or not.

I was convinced I merely sprained my ankle. Turns out it was much worse.

Ag ja, it happens haha.

Anyway, sterkte there - you're on the mend now. Just don't be a hero, take your pain meds before it starts to hurt. Once the pain breaks through it's very hard to control.

Oh and milk your injury while you have it ???? people only feel sorry for you for the first while, take advantage!

12 minutes ago, Grease_Monkey said:

But sterkte! The first two weeks post op is the worst, after that things get alot better quickly (in terms of pain and discomfort anyway). You're at least on the other side of it now and on the mend.

you allergic to tequila?