Where has your bike taken you today?

An3

5 hours ago, 'Dale said:

The day we stop riding our bicycles is the day we age 4 times faster. Feite. ????

I stopped at age 30 ..... next 17 years was a one way street for my health ....

Being back on a bicycle has been the BEST thing for my health :clap:

• Replies 30.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• DJR

• Frosty

• NotSoBigBen

Top Posters In This Topic

53 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

I stopped at age 30 ..... next 17 years was a one way street for my health ....

Being back on a bicycle has been the BEST thing for my health :clap:

Stopped road cycling on two physios’ advice at 28 a few years after L1+2 spinal fractures playing rugby, triggered a lifelong autoimmune spinal thing.  Frequent swimming was great.  Decades later, getting onto the multiple singletracks near my home and exploring coastal pathways about 6 days a week for the last two years has been even more amazing for the spine. Vir alles!  Speedy tumbles se moer. ????

Edited by justinafrika

Today was supposed to be a hard workout on the IDT. Baie Sukkel doesn’t describe what I felt trying to get my HR strap to pick up, as well as my PM on the bike. Probably battery related, although one was a new battery straight out the blister pack.

So headed out on the other bike, and did a modified workout on the fly. There are minimal 5-8min hills where I stay, unless I try Butcher’s Hill in rush hour traffic. Had to make do with some 3m Lin efforts at 121-130%.

F80CEDD3-66AE-43EC-8275-474FCC84DF6A.jpeg.019fd849d0bb0d4ebce80488743f3cb0.jpeg

4 hours ago, Pikey said:

Today : skinny tyres. Was very tempting to stop in for some banana bread & coffee,could almost taste it ????.

But wasn’t convinced about riding home after.

Next time, need to plan better. 

06F29938-4A6A-4DC4-9AD7-F8CF28422338.png

How safe is that area from the Circus to the Suikerbosrand gate to ride ? 

Both from a security (thinking through Daleside) and traffic (narrow road) point of view.

Planning a gravel tipe ride from Carnival City, pass Suikerbosrand. This section is the only one that is a bit questionable.

1 hour ago, Koos Likkewaan said:

How safe is that area from the Circus to the Suikerbosrand gate to ride ? 

Both from a security (thinking through Daleside) and traffic (narrow road) point of view.

Planning a gravel tipe ride from Carnival City, pass Suikerbosrand. This section is the only one that is a bit questionable.

Safe. There are hardly any cars on that road.

As Frosty said . Barley a car passes you. Wouldn’t have any worries about it all @nsbb and I ride out that side often , road and gravel rides . 

Edited by Pikey

21 hours ago, Pikey said:

Today : skinny tyres. Was very tempting to stop in for some banana bread & coffee,could almost taste it ????.

But wasn’t convinced about riding home after.

Next time, need to plan better. 

06F29938-4A6A-4DC4-9AD7-F8CF28422338.png

Looking at the state of that road and the narrow gauge of the rubber on your bike I'm not sure I'd even make it to there. On my MTB I'd be hugging the green bits to the left of the gravel had I been riding in that area. Julle manne daarbo het ballas van staal.

58 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Looking at the state of that road and the narrow gauge of the rubber on your bike I'm not sure I'd even make it to there. On my MTB I'd be hugging the green bits to the left of the gravel had I been riding in that area. Julle manne daarbo het ballas van staal.

It’s a fairly popular road for road cyclists. There is a main road that runs parallel to it so traffic is very limited. It’s links a lot of different routes locally . I do avoid the road sometimes if I can and don’t do long stretches of it to often.

The wkd it’s a popular road for club rides . But then they have a vehicle behind them.

Must say we are pretty fortunate in the south to have lots of wide shoulders and pretty empty roads with lots of gravel routes that link to the tarmac . We just don’t have awesome views ????

Touch wood; drivers out south (of Jozi) are mostly courteous. There are a few that can be considered extreme exceptions, but never as bad a those closer to the urban areas.