Where has your bike taken you today?

An3

12 minutes ago, Ossie NL said:

Did you just classify the south of Jozi as a rural area???

It does get rather rural out that side, that what makes it cool for cycling.

back in the late 80's early 90s that was the cycling mecca, think of the cradle now on a sunday right now, but with steel frames,  hairy legs and no helmets.

• Replies 30.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• DJR

• Frosty

• NotSoBigBen

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Wayne pudding Mol said:

I have a Thule rack (and panniers and other bits) you are welcome to - will WhatsApp you when I can find pics - was given to me so happy to pay it forward 

1F339E8E-7B7B-474E-8A7C-4E5CD1185525.jpeg

Awesome gesture Wayne. Also an awesome pic. 

I still cannot believe that having lived in George from 1980 to 2013 - I have not once pedalled a bicycle up the Montague.

I resolve to do a ride from George across the Montague and on to my folks farm in the Kammanassie some time within the next 12 months. Life is meant for living. Sad it takes a broken leg for me to realise all the missed opportunities I've had. Time to fix some of that.

1 hour ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Awesome gesture Wayne. Also an awesome pic. 

I still cannot believe that having lived in George from 1980 to 2013 - I have not once pedalled a bicycle up the Montague.

I resolve to do a ride from George across the Montague and on to my folks farm in the Kammanassie some time within the next 12 months. Life is meant for living. Sad it takes a broken leg for me to realise all the missed opportunities I've had. Time to fix some of that.

Sad how we live in a tourist paradise, and though I was born and bred in the Western Cape it was years before I started scratching the surface of what we have to enjoy in our area ....

2000 to 2009 a new world opened up when I joined a motorcycle group and we joined their trips, ranging from breakfast runs to idillic places up to a 9 day 5 000km ride taking the group up to Hoggsback and the wife and I up the St Lucia.  What a way to experience and learn our country.

A few years with 4x4 trips showed another "side" of what is to be enjoyed up close, but also into our neighbouring countries.

And just I thought I got a handle on our area, cycling and rides like this weekends Eselsfontein event opens up even so much more of our lovely country.

We are SO privaledged !!!

10 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Sad how we live in a tourist paradise, and though I was born and bred in the Western Cape it was years before I started scratching the surface of what we have to enjoy in our area ....

2000 to 2009 a new world opened up when I joined a motorcycle group and we joined their trips, ranging from breakfast runs to idillic places up to a 9 day 5 000km ride taking the group up to Hoggsback and the wife and I up the St Lucia.  What a way to experience and learn our country.

A few years with 4x4 trips showed another "side" of what is to be enjoyed up close, but also into our neighbouring countries.

And just I thought I got a handle on our area, cycling and rides like this weekends Eselsfontein event opens up even so much more of our lovely country.

We are SO privaledged !!!

agreed. A bicycle certainly takes you places you would otherwise never get to - even by motorcycle. You just have to get out of your comfort zone and head out into the wild places. Places no stage race will ever take you. (well except maybe RASA, but I'm not sure that can be classified a stage race)

Today I fell for the first time... It was EPIC!!! ???? ???? Loved it, the pain is unbearable but that didn't stop me from completing my 20km... Be safe out there lads... My knee is crooked but I'll live. 

Edited by zulucat

Been a while.

I stuffed up my on-one frame, got C-19 recovered, got URTI, recovered. 

I managed to put something together from the on-one and some bits n bobs from the garage.

I present, the Frankenbike.

1D987744-C1CB-4820-97AD-B0DBA31A8ADF.jpeg.52610d53af9721e07a13f3dae4fd81f8.jpeg

1x 10, 32 ring upmfront with a road casette at the back. Not sure what ratio. It doesnt matter anyways.

deore rear derailleur matched (mis) with a zee shifter.

the bike handles quite a bit different to the steel frame. And I miss the comfort of the steel bike. Aly is an unforgiving b!tch, I suddenly understand the lure of rear suspension. 
D1134126-E9F3-42B9-95DC-AE4DA3ABD254.jpeg.827f92d0c180ff93958ee9cc1813aade.jpeg

Do I like Frankenbike? Not particularly. But for now, It’s all I have. So our relationship is like a forced marriage currently. I’tll do the job to bring balance back to my activity/beer drinking ratio, which has been a little off lately.

This morning’s 25kms felt like a 50. 

Edited by RocknRolla