Saddle sores help

Andre 77

I do the following for stage races and have never had a problem:

1. Apply surgical spirits daily after showering for a period of 2 weeks prior to the event. Do not worry your skin does not get hard

2. Tea Tree Oil (20% Australian blend) as lubricant

3. Clean bibs every day

4. Remove bibs asap after finishing your ride

5. Get to the showers asap after removing bibs

6. Use a mild soap

7. Wear boxers or shorts with lining instead of undies

8. Zam-Buk applied after the shower and again before going to bed

Good Luck

Edited by Bucking Fonkers

Ride

Shower

And the put talcum powder on everything to make sure it is dry.

In the event of a saddle sore lance it and clean with Peroxide Vol 10. Next day you will be able to ride again.

My 2c: didn't read all the replies, but I used plain old ZamBuk after my shower everyday on a recent bike tour. Have nothing to compare it with, but I thought it worked quite well and its VERY cheap for long term use!

What has worked for me is an antibiotic ointment that contains Chloromycetin. Its an eye ointment but works great on sores. Open sore and apply daily. You may have to be buddies with your pharmacist to get it, as its schedule 4 medicine.

Get some bactroban. After my fall last year I used that on a gash in my leg. I used it on my thumb after my epic fall yesterday and I must say, the thumb looks great.

What I did after a 94.7 that I got soaked and got some nasty sores was to use some germoline, but only a little amount.

The next time I used bactroban and it healed much faster. In fact I could sit the Tuesday and not make funny sounds.

Oh and if you have guts clean with alcohol. But warning... It will set you rear on fire...

• 7 years later...

Hi Guys - I've searched the prior threads and can't find anything definitive, though some scary comments on the net about infected saddle sores which could be fatal.

I've got my first saddle sore - which is basically like a blood blister/boil. It does not seem infected, as just dark red. It's swollen/painful and I cannot ride.

My question is - do I pop/lance it, or just wait it out for it to hopefully repair itself? It's been 4 days with only marginal improvement.

If anyone has experienced similar, please could you share how you treated it. Need to get back on the road.

Lastly, it is worth a trip to the doctor?

Thanks.

Edited by Roadie_

Prevention - chamois cream- Assos

Cure- immediately as the bump comes out- Tea tree oil

Keep up the hygiene  :thumbup: