Rant - PVM Octane

Redline

so was stuck in nelspruit when the 32GI got finished... now I must say that I got pretty bored with how 32GI fixes babbelaas and gives you endurance for infinity and all that BUT I like that it does not taste funny, accumulate spit nor is it too sweet. Any case, so off I go to the pharmacy to buy some more, and unfortunately they don’t stock 32GI, no problem, gym gorilla tunes me about pvm and how awesome it is etc. Tried it out and there is a couple of things that is just not on.

1- Stained my camel back. (ps: would anyone know how to remove drink type stains on the inside?)

2- It is sweet, taste like casting sugar mixed with game which makes you accumulate saliva

3- Wife forgot the remainder in her camelback overnight, next morning the whole bag was swollen and it looked like it is going to explode!

4- Mix ratio is 5 scoops to 500ml water. So not quite efficient as the 1kg tub won’t last long

All in all just an absolutely K@K product. Went to discem to get some good ol 32GI again but thought I would warn fellow hubbers

post-16319-0-27437300-1293600596.jpg

You got off lightly! There are funky things in there! I know a kid (markstockton's kiddo) who got anaemic from it; it also strangely gives me kidney stones.

When your camelback looks like its gonna explode the next morning after leaving it, you gotta wonder what it does to your insides.

I rode on Octane for years - never had any problems except it being a costly exercise. I didn't follow the instructions - 5 scoops in a bottle (750ml) to make it more drinkable.

It doesn't contain any preservatives, so if there are any funny things in your Camelbak, you are going to be making Octane WitBlits. I once left some in my Camelbak for about 3 months, and I swear the stuff had become a sentient blob with personality and all...

I never had any issues with it staining my Camelbak bladder (do you have a real Camelbak?).

I have since switched to Game and bottles - cheaper, and does pretty much the same thing.

Also never had issues with the PVM stuff, used the 32GI as well with no issues as well as FiT and USN epic. Fast fuel and the USN Active when it first came out gave me cramps when I used those.

Doesn't make them a crap product, what affects me one way can affect someone else differently. We don't all have the same physiological make up.

yep, genuine cambelback, brand new too. never had anything else in it.. so maybe I got special witblits batch :blink:

any way, true not all genetics are the same.. but I am plenty more pro 32gi from now on

The staining is actually a good thing. This usually occurs with supplements that DON'T contain preservatives. It's just discoloured, not damaged...

I have only had good results with Octane. Cherry flavour is awful though ;-( It does stain if left in the bottle for too long.

It contains protein peptides so the label recommends fresh preparation, iow do not mix the evening before as it will get a life of its own, rather mix an hour or 2 before you use it.

Price-wise I do not find it too bad compared to other similar types of drink, although the recent price hike from R200 to R230-240 is a bit steep me thinks.

I used Hammer Perpetuem before (also with good results) but switched to PVM recently because of local Hammer agents' "could not care less" attitude. It is good to vote with the wallet.

1- Stained my camel back. (ps: would anyone know how to remove drink type stains on the inside?)

Place a table spoon of pool-chlorine in it over night - will sterilize and clean

Place a table spoon of pool-chlorine in it over night - will sterilize and clean

Just remember to rinse it out before adding your 32GI before your next ride... 32gi + chlorine doesn't tastte too nice...

For me, you don't need to rinse it afterwards as it will have the same effect as when I am using 32Gi. It gives me a nice runny/moaning/grunting stomach after about 5 hours.

Better product than Brooklax.

32Gi does work, but I always need to ask if the pro's outweight the con's.

Worst part of 32Gi. When I told the reps at the 94.7 expo that it works, but that I have some negative after effects, they all just simply said that it is impossible. Their arrogance on the matter was so bad that I would not support the product anymore. They simply could not accept the fact that it will work for some and for some not. They would rather argue that I used the incorrect amount, etc.

Simple test, if you can:

a) Read the entire list of contents without eyestrain or artifical aid :thumbup:

b)Can correctly pronounce the all products listed under contents

AND

c) Know more or less what each product listed under contents is without googling / encyclopedia Britannica’ing it

THEN

Over the long term you and your Camelback should survive.

Edited by SwissVan

to clean your camelpak bladder or discoloured bottles you can add a denture tab... works really well or you can go the old fashioned route and fill the container with water and add some jik

The staining is actually a good thing. This usually occurs with supplements that DON'T contain preservatives. It's just discoloured, not damaged...

Not actually true Sean most stains come from non-natural colorants or high acidity in a drink, most powder drinks require no preservatives at all as the shelf in powder form does not require it

I use all the PVM products and I am very happy with it aids recovery and gives me the energy required while training I have used USN cyto power as well as I got it as a gift and it is also not bad.