Carla Swart

fandacious

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Condolences to her family and all who know Carla. You're in our thoughts and prayers.

Edited by Warped

Absolutely terrible news...so sad!

According to the news, Andrew McLean said it wasn't the truck drivers fault. Her power meter fell off the bike and she turned round to pick it up, into the path of the truck.

RIP Carla.

Barry Austin, Cycling South Africa’s team manager, who saw the accident happen said Swart turned around right in front of the oncoming truck moments after she had lost her cycling computer.

“I could see how the driver pushed as hard as he could on his brakes. He even swerved to the right so as to avoid smashing into Swart, but it was to no avail. The truck hit Swart full on, flinging her into the air,” Austin said.

“I immediately rushed to where Swart was lying."

Swart unfortunately died before she reached the hospital.

According to Austin, Swart was doing time trialing exercises when the accident happened.

“I was following behind in my car. As we got to a slight incline on the road I saw Swart pressing one of the buttons on her cycling computer. I think she was trying to get an interval reading. The next moment her computer was flying through the air and landed somewhere in the veld.

“I immediately stopped to retrieve it. As I got out of my car a truck passed me from behind. I did not really take notice of it.

He will get a fine. No more, and they usually know nothing will happen to them. "Involuntary manslaughter", for all we know he went straight at her.

His name should be found out and justice should go looking for him.

Assumption is the mother of all F UPS -Lets look at the facts before jumping to conclusions.

A tragic day none the less.

R.I.P A true heorion

Shockingly sad sad sad!!

Irrespective of the facts.... one more death is still too many!!

Condolences to the family and all who knew her...

Take care out there on the roads!!

Edited by Cassie

Barry Austin, Cycling South Africa’s team manager, who saw the accident happen said Swart turned around right in front of the oncoming truck moments after she had lost her cycling computer.

“I could see how the driver pushed as hard as he could on his brakes. He even swerved to the right so as to avoid smashing into Swart, but it was to no avail. The truck hit Swart full on, flinging her into the air,” Austin said.

“I immediately rushed to where Swart was lying."

Swart unfortunately died before she reached the hospital.

According to Austin, Swart was doing time trialing exercises when the accident happened.

“I was following behind in my car. As we got to a slight incline on the road I saw Swart pressing one of the buttons on her cycling computer. I think she was trying to get an interval reading. The next moment her computer was flying through the air and landed somewhere in the veld.

“I immediately stopped to retrieve it. As I got out of my car a truck passed me from behind. I did not really take notice of it.

Cold shivers ran down my spine reading that..... our thought are with you and all who were there Barry!!!!!!!!