the customer is always (a) right (d@#s) ...

Tumbleweed

what do you think?

about two and a half months ago, i sold a carbon fibre xtc and a decent trance to a son and father (total cost about R45000). this wasn't a walk-in-and-buy type deal. every weekend for three weeks they were in the shop.

i tried to advise the son to go for something cheaper than the carbon bike he wanted. it was the first mtb he would own and the first bike he'd ride in about 10 years. the father was set on the trance because his back couldn't handle the stiffness of a roadbike anymore. i warned them of the dangers of investing too heavily in something they may not enjoy. but their minds were set.

there was a lot of after-sales services, including a set-up, and fixing things the "amateur mechanic" son had fiddled with and destroyed, but the expense of which the bike shop carried as a gesture of goodwill.

on tuesday this week, the son phones the shop to say he would like to bring the dad's trance back and take a cheaper mtb and a road bike in its place. of course, this was refused. only to be followed up with a snotty e-mail to say they would never deal with us again, because a bigger bike shop had a 30-day return policy on the bikes they sold (i wonder if they sell returned bikes as new or used?).  

what do you guys think? if the bike was a malfunctioning lemon, i would be all-too-keen to exchange the bikes, but now that the customer has had a change of mind about the bike he wanted 10 weeks down the line, why should the bike shop care?

holy roller2007-10-25 05:28:52

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well even with the 30 day return policy the son would of been out of luck !

I would tell him to take a hike. Is the hassle worth the extra revenue ! Offer him a trade in but at a reduced worth of the bike and sell the bike on the hub

For damn sure.

Idiots. You told them about starting off small but they had money to burn. You can't use a bike for over two months and then just give it back and expect your money back. IF you could do that, I'd just have given them 50% of their money back, if that much.

Rest in peace dude, you are not at fault.

HR - two and a half months ago I guess is the crux (sorry oom Crux!) of the matter here! 30 DAYS DOESN'T EVEN FIGURE SO TOUGH LUCK FOR THEM.

Maybe one of those customers you rather don't want anyway?

do you really want them back as customers?

but for having your good name restored, why dont you phone and speak to the dad?
lowracer2007-10-25 05:38:38

I purchased a VT1 in 2004 from a bike shop in CT.  I did the K2C and day 1 and 2 of the 2005 Epic on it. 

In 2006 I took it to the same bike shop to have some work done on it.  The fork and suspension needed servicing.  Whilst there the owner asked me how I found the bike to which I answered I am gatvol of the bobbing effect.  He made me an offer to change to a hard tail. 

I chose a xtc carbon and a Fox fork. I had to contribute some funds to the changing of frames as well.  The trade was made and my components were transferred between frames.  To be honest, it was a win-win situation.  I still keep that shop in high regard.

Maybe attitudes can be the answer.  Demanding a replacement is much less favourable than discussing it and being willing to contribute to the deal. 

Regards,

c

thanks guys. the lbs owner, was quite p1ssed about it all and has tried to get hold of the old man, but no luck yet. i'm also not really that worried about not having them back as customers. i saw the son at the northern farm race and he said his dad was loving the bike. then, a week later, the old man's in the shop getting bar ends fitted. i get a kick out of hearing from newbies and, i guess, any customer i've sold a bike to how they're enjoying it. the old man told man he was "loving it!". so the sudden change of heart seemed hard to fathom      holy roller2007-10-25 06:21:33

The Customer is ALWAYS $%^&*( right. REmember that, unless they are  %^&&* DUMB A>SS dorks like these mentioned here.

Maybe attitudes can be the answer.  Demanding a replacement is much less favourable than discussing it and being willing to contribute to the deal. 

excellent pointClapthat e-mail that the guy sent was all demands and threats.

Either the Mother found out how much they actually spent or the credit card repayments are hurting I'd say!

Mentioning this because of previous experience BB?

well, in this case the customer is wrong. Anyway hr, you adviced them to go smaller, but as you said they had money to burn. And two months. Thats now second hand, so buy it from them for R22k, and sell it for R30. Some people.