cadence

What is the optiomum cadence to be training and racing at??? Did a ride yesterday and only averaged 66 is this alright or chould it be higher?

depends what kind of training you're doing. i don't know if average cadence is a great target on its own. but then i'm a lazy slob, what do i know? 

Road riding you should average round 85 -100 on flats and 70-85 on hills

MTB i cant say

Today i averaged for the first 30km 110 because of restricted gearing smileys/smiley7.gif" align="middle" /> amdretard2007-10-28 08:09:19

Am only interested in road cycling at the moment.  Does one get better the more one trains, what is the best way to train to get to the higher cadences?

ah here is where i cant really say much the likes of bikemax or bruce could help you ! windbreaker might also be able to help

Am only interested in road cycling at the moment.  Does one get better the more one trains' date=' what is the best way to train to get to the higher cadences?[/quote']

was it the cannibal who said simply: "ride more"?

that is the plan, but was wondering if there was anything in particular that i should look at doing when training

that is the plan' date=' but was wondering if there was anything in particular that i should look at doing when training[/quote']

seriously, buy a copy of mens health. work on intervals. lunges to strengthen the legs. put in loads of base kilos. not scientific, i know, but get a personal trainer and tell them what you want and get them to tailor you a plan

Self selected cadence is almost always the optimum (within reason) so don;t worry about it too much.

If you are down at the low end on the climbs you do then maybe consider a compact chainset to get up to ~70+

Already have a compact chainset, is the first ride after the shova, legs felt heavy for the first half of the ride, but have felt that i really struggle to keep the cadence high on hills.