cadence

ride about 3-5hrs, have to do time on the idt as cannot always get onto the road becuase of work. normally ride at the wekend once or twicem, a 50+ and about a 30km.

Do you have a group which you ride with ? If not try and find one in your area! Makes all the difference !

At your stage i would increase those weekends rides gradually to 80 -90 km then once you there then that base milage ! Then work on speed !

Ride every now and again with a group rode with afriend this weekend but this was no help as was stronger on most sections of the ride.

I do my intervals across a range of cadences 60,70, 80... up to 120rpm so yes, it works leg speed, as well as power.As for doing long rides, I also put some variety of cadences in. In races, I average about 75-85.

Try not to go less than cadence 60 it is a waste of energy, rather shift to lighter gear and spin more. Armstrong always use cadence 90, but it is hard. my average cadence at race is 80.  Concentrate on getting fit first, before you concentrate on cadence