Am I expecting too much...?

Li Mu Bai

ewep, i'm with you on the time thing. Especially when it comes to servicing things like hydraulic brake systems, suspension and wheel builds.

85% of bike maintenance can be done by the rider though, personaly I only ever take my bike in for the forks.

One important thing that people tend overlook is gearing down after a ride to let cables slack, doing just that prolongs cable life.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rude' date=' no you're not.  Problem is that you'll have to go to quite a few bike shops before you find "the one".  I'm lucky and have found a bike shop that I trust to service my bikes.  They do a flipping good job and the owner really looks at all the details.  Another thing I really like about him is that he's not a snivling (sp?) little sh$t that laughs at person 1 with a Raleigh RC2000 and kisses the feet of person 2 with a Pinarello Prince.  To him, if you ride, you're KING!!!  He also gives sound advice and is willing to listen, whether your ideas stink or not.

[/quote']

Etienne my wife also gives me sound advice  99% sound and 1 % adviceLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

Jy moet begin berg fiets ry geen prima donnas in die kategorie nie en al wat bitch is 'n roadie.  en ALMAL help mekaar great ouens en poppe

Goeie dag vir jou

Hy het probeer on MTB te ry maar het gesukkel !

Self service is the way to go . And I like the trial and error method . You learn so much more and it makes it more fun as well , but I am sure if technical stuff bore you then you would just wanna get over and done with .

One important thing that people tend overlook is gearing down after a ride to let cables slack' date=' doing just that prolongs cable life.
[/quote']

That's a good point, so obvious but I never thought of it Clap.

One important thing that people tend overlook is gearing down after a ride to let cables slack' date=' doing just that prolongs cable life.
[/quote']

That's a good point, so obvious but I never thought of it Clap.

I always put my gears into the smallest cogs after I've finished riding. Not only does it relax the cables, but also ensures that the chain is not under any tension.

Somebody needs to win some shoes with that tip - 128 people on-line now with the same idea, Bicycling Mag is going to have a few to choose from.

and remember - you're not sad, you're lucky.

Joe Low2007-10-30 01:16:55

I pretty much do everything on my bikes except suspension servicing and wheel building (thanks JB).  Road bikes are the simplest inventions known to man - especially modern bikes.  Just about everything is easily serviceable and repairable.  MTB's get a little more complicated with suspension - hydraulic brakes are not that complicated.

Yip, therby extending the lifespan.

Another helpful thing, before a muddy/wet ride, spray the bike with mr min.

Makes life a whole easier after the ride and combats dirt build up on the ride.

Almost forgot, don't get any on the braking surfaces. Unless you're into that kind of thing.

danger dassie2007-10-30 01:21:19

Yip' date=' therby extending the lifespan.

[/quote']

Stay away frm Spray and Cake because thats what it does to the dust . Acts as a magnet NOT GOOD AT ALL

JB ......... by trial and error, I meant there will always be things you don't get right first time ........... even simple things like routing a cable so it doesn't change gear every time you turn the bars!!

But I do most of my own servicing. If I don't have the tools/time/inclination I take it to Finish Line

remember, a clean bike is a fast bike!!

Yip' date=' therby extending the lifespan.

[/quote']

Stay away frm Spray and Cake because thats what it does to the dust . Acts as a magnet NOT GOOD AT ALL

Thats why I said "Mr Min", aerosol furniture polish doesn't gather dust. Especialy on a muddy ride.

Spray & Cake/Spray & Cook is a  completely different product.

@linnega - true, hydrualic systems aren't that complicated. But for Joe/Jane average they can quickly become a pain.

Snip snip snip

[/quote']

Oops! Just not true. Cables will live equally long if they're tensioned or slackened. They don't elongate from repeated use nor from being left in tension on a bike. This is an old myth that just keeps on cropping up.

JB

snip snip snip...even simple things like routing a cable so it doesn't change gear every time you turn the bars!!

remember' date=' a clean bike is a fast bike!!
[/quote']

Hmmmmm. I've seen plenty of students do some pretty strange things on many different type of bikes but never that one.

How would you route the cables to change gears?

But I agree, a clean car/bike is a fast one.

JB

Oops! Just not true. Cables will live equally long if they're tensioned or slackened. They don't elongate from repeated use nor from being left in tension on a bike. This is an old myth that just keeps on cropping up. 

JB

I don't agree perse, just about anything used to drive with tension. Such as cable actuation, will stretch.

Granted cable wear when in use is higher than that when left in tension.

Perhaps newer cables today hold their lifespan better though.

I'm not knocking your view, just saying I don't agree 100%, so back away from the multi-tool Wink