Noisy Disc Brake

Broker

Metal pads dont cause vibration in my experience but can get nosiy when hot - ie after a long descent. if yours make a noise from the word go (and its the back and less used brake)its gotta eb something else - Sorry wrote this before reading your fix, which I am happy bears out my comments :)

• 5 months later...

Digging this one up from the archives to ask a question about the cleaning agent used at bike shops..

The scene:

Took my bike in for a service a while back.. I had replaced the pads (F&R) about a week prior and ridden the bike with no noise, vibration and really good power - everything you'd expect from well setup discs and brand new pads.

Got the bike back super clean and work carried out above my expectation, but now again with pads that have an unbelievably loud squeal! This is not shop specific, each shop that use this particular cleaning agent (distinctive smell) have without fail returned the bike with poor braking characteristics.. I won't say performance as it varies, but usually the squeal is a clue to expect reduced performance, but that could be subjective due to the noise..

I have found in the past that the pads have a glazed look and sanding the glaze off helps, but for those not up to speed with sanding pads.. what do you do to fix this? And for shop mechs, what do you do to prevent this? Is it the cleaning agent or what would cause this if cleaning is not to blame?

Thanks

Ah, the WD look.. no, have learnt to spot that so can fortunately say it is not a lube spray that has contaminated the pads.. that's what you mean, right Cap?

yep, cos i know that does cause glazing and squealing. really need to heat the pads up a LOT to get rid of it, or sandpaper. I just do the XC thing.. :P

as for lube, it could actually be a simple case of negligence on behalf of the workshop techie when handling the brakes. when you've got lots of bikes lined up for work, not everyone takes the time to treat the discs and pads with the respect it deserves re clean hands free from oils etc.

yep, cos i know that does cause glazing and squealing. really need to heat the pads up a LOT to get rid of it, or sandpaper. I just do the XC thing.. :P

as for lube, it could actually be a simple case of negligence on behalf of the workshop techie when handling the brakes. when you've got lots of bikes lined up for work, not everyone takes the time to treat the discs and pads with the respect it deserves re clean hands free from oils etc.

I think I may look for some new pads. Squealing is incessant.. !

Need to make list of wheat needs attention when handing the bike in, and a list of what does NOT need attention when handing the bike in. It might also make sense to change my pads after the service rather than before. <_<

Oh well, the rest of the job was good. Brakes must be a dark art in the workshop.

Later