Van Gaalens Mountain biking and running trails

L.T.G

Hi,

I'm a van Gaalens newbie of medium technical level, looking to ride there this Saturday morning. From reading this thread it looks like I could spend a lot of time re-routing myself so if there's anyone riding there from say 7.00 am this Saturday (24 Aug) who goes at medium pace and rides medium technical trails, let me know if I could join you ? I ride mostly around an average of 20 km/hr on a Nissan Trailseeker event so would not want to ride with people who finish in the top 40% of a Trailseeker because I would become a pain in the rear quite quickly ! But if you finish 50% and down then let me know, we might be reasonably well matched speed / strength wise. I am basically keen to get some experience in the area ahead of the next Trailseeker race on 14 Sept. In terms of my technical level, I have now managed in the past three months to train myself to be able to ride the ruins section at Rosemary Hill Farm in the Boschkop area so I can do that section from the house onwards, up and down without putting a foot down, took some practise but it's coming right, hopefully that gives some idea. I would be game for 60-70 km.

Thanks,

T.

Edited by Trelawney

• Replies 971
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I'm a van Gaalens newbie of medium technical level, looking to ride there this Saturday morning. From reading this thread it looks like I could spend a lot of time re-routing myself so if there's anyone riding there from say 7.00 am this Saturday (24 Aug) who goes at medium pace and rides medium technical trails, let me know if I could join you ? I ride mostly around an average of 20 km/hr on a Nissan Trailseeker event so would not want to ride with people who finish in the top 40% of a Trailseeker because I would become a pain in the rear quite quickly ! But if you finish 50% and down then let me know, we might be reasonably well matched speed / strength wise. I am basically keen to get some experience in the area ahead of the next Trailseeker race on 14 Sept. In terms of my technical level, I have now managed in the past three months to train myself to be able to ride the ruins section at Rosemary Hill Farm in the Boschkop area so I can do that section from the house onwards, up and down without putting a foot down, took some practise but it's coming right, hopefully that gives some idea. I would be game for 60-70 km.

Thanks,

T.

PM swift01....good guy that knows the place, they are doing a ride there on Sat

PM swift01....good guy that knows the place, they are doing a ride there on Sat

Thanks, have done so !

Anyone riding vG's this Saturday ? Am looking to join anyone who knows the area well, looking for 60km+ at medium pace ?

Edited by Trelawney

It hard to get really lost at Van Galens due to the mountains on both sides and a road and river down the middle. Unless a sign falls down it is fairly well signposted. There are always a bunch of people there on a Saturday who will oblige you if you are really paranoid.

Anyone riding vG's this Saturday ? Am looking to join anyone who knows the area well, looking for 60km+ at medium pace ?

Yeah we going again. This time i will be riding with Kerry and Duncan if your keen. Typhoon will also be there but with so much road riding lately i am expecting him to be a little scared of rocks and roots :-)

Yeah we going again. This time i will be riding with Kerry and Duncan if your keen. Typhoon will also be there but with so much road riding lately i am expecting him to be a little scared of rocks and roots :-)

OK, thanks, that's great to hear, what time are you planning to start ?

OK, thanks, that's great to hear, what time are you planning to start ?

Looks like we will meet 7.30 and no doubt get going 7.45 to 7.50 depending on the beer level tonight, determines how fast i move :-)