Van Gaalens Mountain biking and running trails

L.T.G

I see there's a race there on Saturday, does this mean it's closed to casual riders? Don't want to drive all the way out there for nada.

Most of the trails will be closed, rather go ride there on Sunday.

• Replies 971
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of the trails will be closed, rather go ride there on Sunday.

tx for the heads up. seems like the universe is conspiring against me ever going there. 

Hi all

Just a reminder that this Saturday(27th) is the Impi Challenge

All routes WILL BE OPEN though...HOWEVER...

If you're planning to use the River trail expect traffic with Impi participants.

I'd avoid riding the River till about 12pm and only use it if you're coming back from the Greek Church, that way you'll only have traffic the last km or so.

and PS it's going to be pretty warm come Saturday... make sure you smother on the sunblock and have enough water with you.

question for the regulars, if i go up concrete climb and pofadder, what options do i have coming down?  I want to hook up with oom piet and Greek church getting around  50kms.

question for the regulars, if i go up concrete climb and pofadder, what options do i have coming down?  I want to hook up with oom piet and Greek church getting around  50kms.

I hope this is viewable without being logged in to Strava:

http://www.strava.com/activities/181091549

... It was concrete Strips, Pofadder, down and around to the railway line, up to the mine, around to Savannah Hills, then Greek Church and Jou Bliksem, then back via the river and was 54 km.

If you miss out the mine and Jou Bliksem but include Oom Piet's then I think you will still be at around 50 km.

Enjoy the ride ... Wish I could also go but had my appendix out rather suddenly this past Monday so enjoying some forced rest !

Hi going to VG on SAT - are the routes marked clearly - wanne do around 50km plus ?

My first social ride at vG was done with some people who knew the routes and I'm glad I did it that way. The routes are marked but you see people all the time asking for directions and eyeing a map looking lost. Having said that, if you are sharp eyed you might be able to work it out.

Or upload a GPS track from someone who has been before. I have a couple 50 km routes I've done out there and could probably work out how to export the Garmin file if you're interested.

I hope this is viewable without being logged in to Strava:

http://www.strava.com/activities/181091549

... It was concrete Strips, Pofadder, down and around to the railway line, up to the mine, around to Savannah Hills, then Greek Church and Jou Bliksem, then back via the river and was 54 km.

If you miss out the mine and Jou Bliksem but include Oom Piet's then I think you will still be at around 50 km.

Enjoy the ride ... Wish I could also go but had my appendix out rather suddenly this past Monday so enjoying some forced rest !

Thanks, never done the mine, gues that is what i am doing tomorrow

Here's a Garmin exported GPX activity file which maybe you can load to your Garmin ? I see the route I posted was up towards the mine at one point but was the day I was on my own and missed the final turning so misses a part of the loop, pay attention there and you should spot it.

Here's a Garmin exported GPX activity file which maybe you can load to your Garmin ? I see the route I posted was up towards the mine at one point but was the day I was on my own and missed the final turning so misses a part of the loop, pay attention there and you should spot it.vG_activity_566445766.zip

vG2_activity_571850488.zip

Here's a Garmin exported GPX activity file which maybe you can load to your Garmin ? I see the route I posted was up towards the mine at one point but was the day I was on my own and missed the final turning so misses a part of the loop, pay attention there and you should spot it.attachicon.gifvG_activity_566445766.zip

And a week later I found the full mine loop and included Oom Piet's

I haven't done Oom Piet's in a while and WOW, Erik's revamp of the trail is brilliant! :clap:

Took a tiny pounding on the rigid SS but so much fun!!

• 3 weeks later...