Van Gaalens Mountain biking and running trails

L.T.G

Signage has been bad for years and nothing has changed.

they'll never be good enough for those people they're not good enough for.

• Replies 971
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

they'll never be good enough for those people they're not good enough for.

Nonsense, just mark every time the trail splits, simple.

Nonsense, just mark every time the trail splits, simple.

and when the trail passes through a land owner's property where they've allowed access but don't want signage up?

almost 40 different properties... must be easy to keep all generous land owners and fussy riders happy.

Rocks are marked with white arrows in many places.

• 6 months later...

Hi all... I see Van Gaalens has a new map... could somebody be so kind as to send me a higher res version.. even if its a photo of a hardcopy map? I'd like to do some planning for my next ride...

• 4 months later...

Hi all.

A couple of months ago we hit the river trail out to the main road, turned left onto the ride and did a slow grind past the Greek Church and made a u-turn back and onto the river trail again for a nice chilled 30km.

Wanted to do it again yesterday but it looks like the route has changed and we ended up on a very different spot climbing up to Greek Church instead of getting to the dirt road.

Does anyone know if the flow and direction of the river trail changed recently? Or maybe some signs went missing because yesterday was just very confusing.

Is van Gaalens accessible for Gauteng riders in terms of provincial border crossings? I think it's in NW??? 

Is van Gaalens accessible for Gauteng riders in terms of provincial border crossings? I think it's in NW??? 

I wouldn't let that bother you. Its probably a stones thrown from the Cowteng border....

Van Gaalen is actually Gauteng basically on the border of NW. Two weeks ago I crossed the NW border somewhat to get to Van Gaalen (the route I chose from home was a bit further but the road better) and had no issues.

• 5 weeks later...

Has anybody been there recently? I have never been there. Are there shorter routes for the less experienced riders? Are these routes sufficiently marked?

some of the routes at VG have changed. Vic is trying to accomodate runners and cyclists with minumum interference. The river and Greek church have both changed direction

some of the routes at VG have changed. Vic is trying to accomodate runners and cyclists with minumum interference. The river and Greek church have both changed direction

And now the river is no longer as good. Just doesn’t flow right.

Has anybody been there recently? I have never been there. Are there shorter routes for the less experienced riders? Are these routes sufficiently marked?

Was there a few weekends ago, lots of walkers but otherwise all good, the change in trail directions mentioned above wont affect you as it will be your first time. The river routes and Oom Piet, Greek Church you can keep pretty close in to the base with limited technical challenges and as much/little hill as you want. Marking is good.