Need Help on Groupset Specs

frankiefiggs

Hi guys

I need some help. I was looking at groupsets on totalcycling, I see that you have to choose between some options I don't understand. I get the cassette options, and crankset(kind of), but these I don't know??

Front Derailleur options:  Braze on ; 28.6mm Clamp ; 31.8mm clamp
Whats does this mean?

Shifter options: 6600 Ultegra STI Levers or R700 Short Reach STI Leavers
Whats the difference?

Please help!

Front derailers give you two options of fitting to frame. 1) is your Braze on, where there is a permanent fitting on the frame where you attach the derailer. This is mostly on bikes with funny shaped seat tubes. 2) is where you have a clamp that goes around the frame to attach derailer. Sizes differ as some tubes diameter is bigger than others.

Shifters, 6600 Ultegra is 10 speed if I'm correct (know 6500 is 9 speed)

Short reach will be for people with smallish hands / ladies.

Disclaimer. This is what I understand it to be.
Wannabe2007-11-07 06:39:09

Braze on FD's is where the frame has a hanger for the FD. Clamp on FD's are used on frames that have no special hander on the seat tube for the FD. The size given is the diameter of the seat tube.

The short teach STI's are for people with smaller hands / ladies.

Hey MWNN, I did not even ask Dilbert to help Big%20smile
Christie2007-11-07 06:28:29

Be carefull about the BB's as well. You get your "normal" octalink BB crankset (the one where you attach both crankarms to the outside)  in two different threads.  English and Italian. They do not work together, their thread direction differs. Then you get the octalink BB in two body / shaft lengths as well. 109.5 for Double chainrings, 118.5 for Triple chainrings.

Then you get your Hollowtec BB where you only fit the BB cups (also in Italian or British) with the outside bearings to your frame, and the shaft is attached to the driveside (chainring side) of the crankset, which you just push through and attach the other crank arm to.

Be carefull about the BB's as well. You get your "normal" octalink BB crankset (the one where you attach both crankarms to the outside)  in two different threads.  English and Italian. They do not work together' date=' their thread direction differs. Then you get the octalink BB in two body / shaft lengths as well. 109.5 for Double chainrings, 118.5 for Triple chainrings.

Then you get your Hollowtec BB where you only fit the BB cups (also in Italian or British) with the outside bearings to your frame, and the shaft is attached to the driveside (chainring side) of the crankset, which you just push through and attach the other crank arm to.
[/quote']

Oh.

Sounds simple. Confused

Wink

If you are unsure about the size of your seat tube, buy the braze on derailer. You can buy a clamp at your LBS for under R100 for the correct size downtube w-endfan2007-11-07 07:39:17