Running vs Cycling - the debate...

Dangerboy

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Besides Kotov, look at wally Haywood 80 years old and ran a 10h00 Comrades,Allan Ferguson a 3H40 Marathon at age 70. Hazel Quillam 64years old a 8h40 Comrades

Some interesting comments here...

I'm not suggesting that cycling is harder, i agree, there isn't a tougher single day race than Comrades, mentally and physically (i'm doing my first one this year!). And i love the point that there's no free kms in running - even the downhills are tough during a long run.

Personally, after 200kms on the bike (triathlete = no drafting) i am absolutely spanked. I need to lie-down almost immediately. After a marathon i can still walk around, have a beer and a wors roll!

The navy seals who decided on the Ironman distances did so to make the event equal to each discipline. So they believed a 180km bike = 42.2km run.

So, do we think they got that right? I think that's accurate, but obviously it becomes a tougher run after the bike!

There is no cycle race in SA that can be compared to Comrades (look at the preparation commitment planning etc that one goes through, cycling you can skim on training but Comrades will catch you around 40km in.

Come and do 24hr solo and you might have a different view. Apart from the length of the event, I think the body goes through a similar beating. Lower back, hands etc take strain from the repetitive pounding. Takes a month to fully recover after the event.

I've done a couple 56km (Two Oceans) and a few 200km's on the road bike. You need to be much better prepared for long distance running, on the bike you can find a few places to hide (ie downhill). An ordinary athlete like me needs 6 months of dedicated training to do the Oceans in sub 5:30, while two months on the road bike for the DC was enough to beat 50% of the field. Having said that, me toughest day ever, was on a MTB doing a 160km race.

Come and do 24hr solo and you might have a different view. Apart from the length of the event, I think the body goes through a similar beating. Lower back, hands etc take strain from the repetitive pounding. Takes a month to fully recover after the event.

I will stick my neck out and say that Comrades is child's play in comparison.

Run a 24hr circuit race, or a 3-6 day circuit race... even run a multiday stage trail run.....no comparision, 24 hours on a bike is "easier". Done them all. Just need to do a multiday MTB stage race, to compare as close as possible. Doing the Grape Escape , so will give feedback on that compared to multiday running.

Cyclists are pussys.

PM Lance, ask him how the tour, or any combination of stages in the tour compares to the NY marathon? Bet there's plenty of bleet regarding this in the interwebs.

Run a 24hr circuit race, or a 3-6 day circuit race... even run a multiday stage trail run.....no comparision, 24 hours on a bike is "easier". Done them all. Just need to do a multiday MTB stage race, to compare as close as possible. Doing the Grape Escape , so will give feedback on that compared to multiday running.

Cyclists are pussys.

The comparison was Comrades to a 24 hour.

I will agree that the running you mention will be much harder than cycling though.

Guaranteed some of the pussy's you refer to whip your ass on a bike regularly.

The comparison was Comrades to a 24 hour.

I will agree that the running you mention will be much harder than cycling though.

Guaranteed some of the pussy's you refer to whip your ass on a bike regularly.

Got nuttin to do with, who whips who. Never heard so much whining and bleating as I do in a cycling bunch :D BTW Shouldn't you keep your leather and chains fetish under wraps? :P You coming out ? :D

I think the ratio is closer to 4:1. So in my opinion a 42 run equals a 180km ride. Running anything longer than 30km is just stupid.

I burn 25% more kcal on a sub 12 ironman than a similar time comrades but there is no pain after the ironman unlike comrades where I can hardly walk for 4 days after.

comrades where I can hardly walk for 4 days after.

Maybe that's just down to a lack of conditioning?

I will stick my neck out and say that Comrades is child's play in comparison.

I'll bring the chopping block :P

Its no good comparing events to events you need to compare time to time. Comrades is max 12 hrs IF you make it within the (new) cutoff time, 24 hrs is well ahmm..24 hrs.

Runners also have 24 hour events and I will put my head on the chopping block and say that 24 hrs of running is harder than 24 hrs of cycling.

this is going to be one of that my d@ck is bigger than yours, you can only talk about the comrades if you have done it .The same with the 24hours. Who did the comrades and the 24

I'll bring the chopping block :P

Its no good comparing events to events you need to compare time to time. Comrades is max 12 hrs IF you make it within the (new) cutoff time, 24 hrs is well ahmm..24 hrs.

Runners also have 24 hour events and I will put my head on the chopping block and say that 24 hrs of running is harder than 24 hrs of cycling.

go and try the 100 miler in pe

Got nuttin to do with, who whips who. Never heard so much whining and bleating as I do in a cycling bunch :D BTW Shouldn't you keep your leather and chains fetish under wraps? :P You coming out ? :D

Calling cyclists pussy's doesn't make you sound like a mistress ?

Maybe that's just down to a lack of conditioning?

ROFLMAO :lol: :lol: :lol: