Running vs Cycling - the debate...

Dangerboy

Well, I'm a runner that will get on a bike tomorrow for the first time in about 10 years (not counting the 10 or so times I've ridden 5kms on my very old MTB in the past ten years)

So far I've done a 60min gym cycle and a 90min gym cycle. I weigh 95kgs and find a 5 km run as hard as a 60min bike ride (+- 25km's)

If the ratio of running/cycling is 4:1, I'll have some difficulty completing the Argus.

If it's 5:1, I'll be OK.

You're all comparing fit runners with fit cyclists.

Compare an overweight runner with overweight cyclists, and the running/cycling ratio probably opens up to 10:1.

It's my opinion that VERY small bodied people (men weighing 55-65kg) will find running to be much more comparable to cycling (let's say a 3:1 ratio) than a man with a bmi of 30+

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest agteros

1. running, 2. MTB'ing, 3. Road cycling

Agree with that.

Looking at heart rates, with running you can reach the highest, and road cycling your max is about 15 bpm lower than running. MTB is somewhere inbetween. All down to how many different muscles need to be fed (oxygen/glycogen)

Physical impact, same order

Maybe look at how many points Vitality give for each activity and the distances for those.

I started running 3 weeks back, to mix the training up--

I have not run since mid 80"s - then i was forced into running by the "weermag"

I died after 2.5km... seriuuus

I spinn 2 times a week - ride weekends, only MTB, and can do 25/30km offroad to train no prob..

But

Run..

I feel like my heart is going to burst out of my chest , my knees hurt, -- everything hurts....

Cycling is my choice to get fit, and healthy,

Running my punishment for - eating wrong, drinking , etc etc....

Guest agteros

Maybe look at how many points Vitality give for each activity and the distances for those.

Mountain Biking (75km or more) :

5 000 Off-road Triathlon (60km or more) :

5 000 Road Cycling (100km or more) :

5 000 Road running (42.2km or more) :

5 000 Road Triathlon (113km to 225km) :

5 000 Road Triathlon (226km or more) :

5 000 Trail Running (30km or more) :

5 000

Although I do not think it can be compared like this, seems more like it is geared towards the events and their distances available. NO way that a 226km triathlon (Ironman) can be compared to a 75km MTB race, or even a 100km road cycling race

I reckon it's an apples and oranges question... Why even bother to compare them? I do both.

I prefer oranges. Wait, which one is the orange, and what was the question?

Ah,yes, I remember, you can inject an orange with vodka, not so much with an apple.

I died after 2.5km... seriuuus

:D Running is much more difficult to get use to than cycling. I've seen an interesting training program if you want to start running. Start with 3x sessions per week, +-20 minutes per session, but during the first week, walk 5 minutes, run 1 minute, then walk 5, run 1 etc..

Every week you reduce the walking intervals by 1 minute and increase the running intervals by 1 minute until you can run all 20 minutes, then you can slowly increase the time/distance. I've tried the 3km first-day running thing, was in a lot of pain the next day:)

I enjoy it a lot more on my bicycle than on my feet, for me it's all about what I enjoy the most :thumbup:

Guest agteros

:D Running is much more difficult to get use to than cycling. I've seen an interesting training program if you want to start running. Start with 3x sessions per week, +-20 minutes per session, but during the first week, walk 5 minutes, run 1 minute, then walk 5, run 1 etc..

Every week you reduce the walking intervals by 1 minute and increase the running intervals by 1 minute until you can run all 20 minutes, then you can slowly increase the time/distance. I've tried the 3km first-day running thing, was in a lot of pain the next day:)

I enjoy it a lot more on my bicycle than on my feet, for me it's all about what I enjoy the most :thumbup:

At our morning running group, one guy always reminds the newbies to just tough it out for the first year or two. Reason being as it is tough to start doing, especially for us sedentary western types, hence a lot of people giving it up during that period.

It does get better after a while (ok, if you want to go faster not really..)

Ran my first 21km the week before the 94.7. Died a thousand deaths. Cycled the 94.7 the following week - tired but still able to form a sentence afterwards.

For me personally, running is much harder and I find I need more recovery time than with cycling. On a bike I can go out and beat myself up every day but with running I need at least a day off between runs if the intensity is high.

All I can say is: I have 2 bicycles and a car - why oh why would I want to run anywhere?! :rolleyes:

If you fall off your bike and can't ride, then you start to run / jog. I just came home after a 5.90km jog. Not as much fun as cycling, but keeps me kinda fit.

If you fall off your bike and can't ride, then you start to run / jog.

No, then you lie there bleeding till someone comes to fetch you.

No, then you lie there bleeding till someone comes to fetch you.

Not in SA. In SA they will try to rape you, steal your bike, cell, and any money that you might have, then some people will strip you naked and leave you for dead.

And the tannie in her tin protector would drive over me if I was still in the road...

Would it be fair to assume that there are more runners who could complete, at the drop of a hat, a 100km road ride or a 45km MTB than Roadies or MTB riders who could complete a 21km run ?

Edited by ricochet_rabbit

All I can say is: I have 2 bicycles and a car - why oh why would I want to run anywhere?! :rolleyes:

Amen brother!!!

I was having dinner with a runner friend of mine last night and the topic got onto the usual Runners vs Cyclists - who/which is harder...

I told her that I did a 200km ride on the weekend (Ironman training), and she asked, "What would that equal in running kilometres?"

I said 50kms. My reasoning was that a 90km cycle is like a 21km run, so times that by 2 and you hit a marathon = 180km, so add a few for luck!

Although i do think i'm favouring the cyclist here.

I also don't think anyone can judge unless they've riden at least 150kms and run a marathon.

Your thoughts?

3 idiots started a similar conversation a few decades ago in a pun in Hawai. Next thing the Ironman was born. I think this topic has been exhausted over the years.

If it was me, do dualthlon. You will not find a more punishing sport. Not even triathlon is harder.

Guest agteros

3 idiots started a similar conversation a few decades ago in a pun in Hawai. Next thing the Ironman was born. I think this topic has been exhausted over the years.

If it was me, do dualthlon. You will not find a more punishing sport. Not even triathlon is harder.

Heard from national level age groupers as well... Triathlon is the easy one.

Guess that is why it is more popular than duathlon