Kids 1st Bike

Knight

I have been tasked with sourcing a kids 1st bicycle.

Any suggestions as to where I should look in JHB for a decent kids bike?

Criteria :

• Preferably not the back pedal variety
  • Not trying to break the bank

First bike: plastic scooter

2nd: 12" wheels with training wheels

3rd: JD bug

Then they can cycle anything they fit on.

I got a very well made Raleigh for about R695 for Casojees, with training wheels and tassels. Besides the plastic brake leavers its very sturdy and solid, weighs as much it not more that my mtb.

http://www.entopia.org.za/Gallery/Jessa/JessaAlyssa_Dec2010/Alyssa_bike1-s.jpg

Ok that is the top of the range kiddies Raleigh , the one I got only got v-brakes on the back but also pink . Very solid little bike and unlike some other kiddies bikes the training wheel does not start to wobble after a while .

I think back pedal breaks are must for kids around 3-5, they just dont have enough strength in their hands to pull a break hard enough for them to stop in time

I think back pedal breaks are must for kids around 3-5, they just dont have enough strength in their hands to pull a break hard enough for them to stop in time

Good point, and not all the levers have the adjuster to bring the lever closer to the bar.

Good point, and not all the levers have the adjuster to bring the lever closer to the bar.

Son of bikemonster has a Giant with 16" wheels, back pedal brakes and a reach-adjustable lever operated brake on the front wheel. He's had it two years and it's been bullet (and child) proof.

Styling is sort of BMX meets Sherman tank, with the svelteness of Kirstie Alley (the big version). Weighs about the same as a small planet.

Edited by bikemonster

First bike: plastic scooter

2nd: 12" wheels with training wheels

3rd: JD bug

Then they can cycle anything they fit on.

Stay away from training wheels at all costs! First get a bike with no pedals, like this:

http://www.kokua.de/Seiten/KOKUA.html (I got the "Jumper" for my son):

http://www.kokua.de/Seiten/LIKEaBIKE%20jumper/Fotos%20jumper/LIKEaBIKE-jumper-gruen-up-a.jpg

A child should first learn to balance and steer. They use their feet to get going and brake, which gives them lots of confidence as they can't fall over (always easy to put their feet down, no pedals in the way). Also good skills for later.

My son is 4 years old and has used this bike for the last two years - he loves it and races around like a madman, full of confidence.

I'm shopping around for his first pedal & brakes bike, he'll be ready soon.

+1! My son's first bike had hand brakes and he needed two hands to pull the lever (He was very small when he got the first one)! With pedal brakes, just make sure the chain tension is right because if it comes off.....

Stay away from training wheels at all costs! First get a bike with no pedals, like this:

http://www.kokua.de/Seiten/KOKUA.html (I got the "Jumper" for my son):

http://www.kokua.de/Seiten/LIKEaBIKE%20jumper/Fotos%20jumper/LIKEaBIKE-jumper-gruen-up-a.jpg

A child should first learn to balance and steer. They use their feet to get going and brake, which gives them lots of confidence as they can't fall over (always easy to put their feet down, no pedals in the way). Also good skills for later.

My son is 4 years old and has used this bike for the last two years - he loves it and races around like a madman, full of confidence.

I'm shopping around for his first pedal & brakes bike, he'll be ready soon.

That looks really nice! What did it set you back and where did you get it from?

Son of bikemonster has a Giant with 16" wheels, back pedal brakes and a reach-adjustable lever operated brake on the front wheel. He's had it two years and it's been bullet (and child) proof.

Styling is sort of BMX meets Sherman tank, with the svelteness of Kirstie Alley (the big version). Weighs about the same as a small planet.

Mine both started on the same bike! Can't believe they're on 26" bikes now! Crap, I'm getting old! :(

Mine both started on the same bike! Can't believe they're on 26" bikes now! Crap, I'm getting old! :(

I've even seen one of them on your 29er... that makes you extra old! hahaha!

I've even seen one of them on your 29er... that makes you extra old! hahaha!

Stoppit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry:

:lol: