Road Hogs

Motorist

This picture proves why motorists dislike cyclists on the road, this mtn sponsored group has got no consideration for anybody.

Welcome.

Some of us on here are petrolheads and pedalheads.

Some cyclists ride like knobs.

Some motorists drive like knobs.

Some people are knobs even when they are away from wheeled transport.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Crankit01

ALL THIS VENTING IS GREAT BUT HOW MANY MOTORISTS ACTUALLY READ CYCLING FORUMS?

I THINK TO REACH CONSESNUS THE PRESS MEDIA SHOULD PUBLISH A SHORT ARTICLE MONTHLY, IN THAT WAY IT WILL REACH A FEW MORE OF THE TARGET MARKET, NAMELY CYCLISTS AND MOTORISTS, THOUGHTS?

Welcome.

For prez . . . . :thumbup:

Guest Crankit01

Welcome.

LOL gave me the cackles

to all the guys who are saying were is the cycle lane and cyclists are not by law allowed to ride in the yellow lane . how stupid are you or do you just mention the laws that suit you . what is the most basic of all rules when on a bicycle hell even my 2 year old knows this one ..RIDE IN SINGLE FILE if you could get that one simple rule in your head there would be no problems

get some respect and tolerance. then there will be no problems.

Edited by TNT1

The same rule that make it illegal for cyclist to ride 2 a breast is the the same for the motorist - The rule is when 1 vehicles overtake another it must be done in a separate lane! Thus for a motorist to overtake cyclist in the same lane - which happens all the time in RSA is just as illegal as for cyclists to ride 2 abreast. My questions is why if motorist are driving properly is it a problem if cyclist are all to the left of the centre line? The motorist legally still has to turn the steering wheel the same to over take 1 or 4 legally! By riding 4 abreast are cyclist not just keeping motorist honest / legal? Just my question - also the motorist should be using the indicators and not doing this on a solid white line!

As for the yellow line unless marked as a cycle lane it is also illegal for cyclist to ride inside the lane - yup we do and do it normally as we are been considerate to other road uses but it is still illegal - so sometime and certainly when it suits motorist - rules are for the guidance of wise men and for fools to follow!

Yeah, FFS, and when out of their cars, apparently they have nothing better to do than to post drivel here.

The DA in the Western Cape is busy putting through legislation that makes it LAW for motorists to pass cyclist with at least 1.5 meters gap between them. How it's going to be enforced/policed is another matter. AT LEAST IT IS A STEP IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION.

Should put a stop to motorists "buzzing" cyclists. Happened again to me on Thursday morning on Plattekloof rd. Was riding well to the left inside the yellow lane, no other cars on the road, when this creep decided to buzz me.

I prefer the law as I understand it to be right now and that is overtaking in separate lane - I not sure I buy into the 1.5m gap! I hope they try and enforce it esp on Boy's drive and make sure that cars also obey the solid line rule. Currently cyclist are been fined for going down main road the wrong way which is as ridiculous!!

i'm loving the ironic personalities and their drivel. juvenile sidesipes like that gets us exactly where teh hub is so well known for: childish blow ups. The topic is worth discussing in a civil manner. A strongly polarised view from either camp is not needed, and neither are the snivelling retorts littering this thread, as if pointing out from their lofty, well educated pedestals, personality 'flaws' in the OP will automatically invalidate the topic. :thumbup:

meh..

now after that little flamebait, i'ma go ride me bike,and hopefully, if i decide to ride two abreast, those rocks and trees on the trail will gtfo ma way..

Edited by Capricorn

The person on the right is a real idiot. We have a guy like him in our club. No matter what you say to the guy he insists riding in a 3rd line just so he can talk to the boys at the front.

Bit of advice for motorists, most cyclists don't care how they drive on the road and they will not change because they have a low level of social maturity. Similar to the level of social security a selfish child displays who will not share his toys when friends visit.

Motorists have there own issues in this regard though.

Phil Ligget put it nicely during the Tour of SA earlier this week. He said that he has travelled all over the world and SA motorists are the most aggressive. That says a lot. We have a lot of selfish and angry people in our country. Socially immature.

I included this in my newsletter this month that goes out to local accommodation venues and service providers in the area as well as subscribers (near on 900):

Please keep your eyes open when driving around in our area for road cyclists and mountain bikers, if you see riders transgressing road rules please report them (provide as much info as possible) at www.thehubsa.co.za - or drop Unwind an email. Please remember that the road over the Magaliesberg Mountains at Maanhaarand (Breedts Nek) is extremely popular over weekends and should be driven with caution (not only for the riders but also because the road is in a very poor state!). Lets keep our roads safe safe for all users!

We can all do our bit to try and educate all concerned. I don't want to end up flat under that Gold Fortuner in the area!!!

to all the guys who are saying were is the cycle lane and cyclists are not by law allowed to ride in the yellow lane . how stupid are you or do you just mention the laws that suit you . what is the most basic of all rules when on a bicycle hell even my 2 year old knows this one ..RIDE IN SINGLE FILE if you could get that one simple rule in your head there would be no problems

It is unfortunate that your attitude will probably be carried over to your two year old and that they will also in future have this 'grudge toward cyclists' mentality. I don't think the fact that we're saying cyclists are allowed to ride on the right of the yellow line is being mentioned to suit cyclists but merely to show that those of us who do ride there, do so out of consideration. This should not be taken for granted and perhaps you should in turn, when some cyclists do stray into your path, practice some consideration yourself. How about being a shining example to Motorist Jr of how road users should act instead of ploughing your energy into taking pictures, registering on a forum to post them and making some ill-informed comments.

Right or wrong, I'd love to just once get one of these motorists, put them on a bike, and drive past them the way they do to cyclists. Even better, can I strap them into the passenger seat, put their kids, wives, loved ones on bicycles and drive past them with the same complete dis-regard for human life they exhibit?

Listen up morons, it's not about how right you are, or how you (often incorrectly) interpret the law, it's about treating other south africans, other human beings with some dignity and respect.

Wise up.

Right or wrong, I'd love to just once get one of these motorists, put them on a bike, and drive past them the way they do to cyclists. Even better, can I strap them into the passenger seat, put their kids, wives, loved ones on bicycles and drive past them with the same complete dis-regard for human life they exhibit?

Listen up morons, it's not about how right you are, or how you (often incorrectly) interpret the law, it's about treating other south africans, other human beings with some dignity and respect.

Wise up.

+1