Well, 2011 TDF is just round the corner .......

nochain

Robbie said on Twitter yesterday that Conto has 7 Grand Tour starts with 6 wins.

Do you guy's know what tour did he start and not win?also what GC pos did he get at that tour?

Must have been before he's TDF win,maybe the Vuelta?

Impressive record!!

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Robbie said on Twitter yesterday that Conto has 7 Grand Tour starts with 6 wins.

Do you guy's know what tour did he start and not win?also what GC pos did he get at that tour?

Must have been before he's TDF win,maybe the Vuelta?

Impressive record!!

I think it was the TDF 2005. He finished in the 30's...

Yip, I was right: 31 Alberto Contador (Spa) Liberty Seguros-Würth 1.03.25

I have to say as not a big Conto Fan(mainly because I am n huge Andy Fan)...I got some respect for him during this Giro!!

I love the way he dominated the GC riders who he considered dangerous but also how he let the race unfold for the other GC riders.

He basically gave away 3 stages...yesterday I think he was up on Miller and then relaxed. It was almost as if he would not let Scarponi and Nibali beat him at anything but the rest he was more than willing to give a break.

Was very surprized that he attacked on Friday's stage, it just shows me that he is not being pushed at all at the moment. If he was tired from the last 3 weeks of racing and worried about the Tour then why not just sit wheels?

Loved watching the "lesser" GC guy's battle on saturday!!

Yeah, stupendous stuff.

I think 'Berto is also rewriting the way tours are riden, much as LA did many years ago he has re-written the procedures and brought a new aspect into the race.

Two years ago few GC contenders would consider taking the pink Jersey on day 7 and holding onto it for 14 consequtive days, 'Berto did it, the idea has long been to use your team to chase down breaks, 'Berto saved his team seldom using them to work hard or chase breaks, he played a crafty game making others do the work. On the mountains he chased all the breaks on his own, few GC contenders in a grand tour Gift stages, I remember LA's favourite "No more Gifts" but 'Berto gifted three (I say 4 if we consider he never chased Igor Anton down which he could easily have done) stages, which did not go unnoticed by the peleton and those pics when he let Paulo win speak volumes. He has made himself friendly in the peleton and the other guys are happy to help him out as we saw when Arroyo chased down Nibali for him, they didnt have to, but I get the feeling they are happy to have him around.

Lets see how he tackles the tour, I think it will be much the same - he has tried and tested methods and the rest are still playing catch up.

I think Conto rode conservatively - he built up a comfortable margin, and then eased up. He will rest and recouver, and be ready to have a go at the TDF. I don't think anybody can beat him, except the Schlecks. That said, Conto was on inferior supplements last year, while Andy was in top form on Saxo bank, and Conto still matched him. Conto is stronger this year. Leopard-Trek have the benefit of a stronger squad than Saxo with Cancellara, Voight etc. They could isolate Conto and take turns attacking, which could work if they do it right. There will be other GC riders as well that may influence such a move. T-Mobile and CSC never succeeded against LA, perhaps these guys can make it work. I will be interesting to watch.

Other contenders are Basso, Evans, Kloden, but I think they will be outclassed.

I predict Conto to win by around 2 min.

I think Conto rode conservatively - he built up a comfortable margin, and then eased up. He will rest and recouver, and be ready to have a go at the TDF. I don't think anybody can beat him, except the Schlecks. That said, Conto was on inferior supplements last year, while Andy was in top form on Saxo bank, and Conto still matched him. Conto is stronger this year. Leopard-Trek have the benefit of a stronger squad than Saxo with Cancellara, Voight etc. They could isolate Conto and take turns attacking, which could work if they do it right. There will be other GC riders as well that may influence such a move. T-Mobile and CSC never succeeded against LA, perhaps these guys can make it work. I will be interesting to watch.

Other contenders are Basso, Evans, Kloden, but I think they will be outclassed.

I predict Conto to win by around 2 min.

I think you can discount Evans and Kloden right now, they are not even on the same page. Basso.......Hmm, at his best last year in the Giro I still dont think he would have beaten Contador, but I think he is podium material.

Honestly, who else is there to challenge 'Berto?,.... Andy and Frank are the only two I can think of and Andy is not very impressive at the moment.

Leopard is also a new team, maybe some internal issues, a few minor slips here and there, some unhappy rider days....Saxo is a well drilled team with a long history, everyone knows their position and Riis is a wily old campaigner, he knows the ropes.

'Berto has also proved here he is not reliant on a team as in chasing down breaks, he is a crafty rider and I think he will use the same procedure as the Giro, spare his team, use others to chase, get seconds early and control from a position of comfort.

The only person who can hold 'Berto back and prevent him from winning the tour is Riis.

Andy is not very impressive at the moment.

Agreed, but then again he doesn't need to be, he needs to be impressive come tour start.

A rider who peaks all the time is (a)Taking way too much dope and (B) will burn out somewhere, they are genetically gifted ,but none of them carry a big hammer or kryptonite in their pockets.

For the first time in a while the TDF is sparking some interest. It looks a bit of an open field which is going to make it really really fun to watch.

Agreed, but then again he doesn't need to be, he needs to be impressive come tour start.

A rider who peaks all the time is (a)Taking way too much dope and (B) will burn out somewhere, they are genetically gifted ,but none of them carry a big hammer or kryptonite in their pockets.

I am sure Andy will be 100% come tour time and might even be stronger than last year, lets just hope he's prep goes as planned and both him and Frank manage to stay on their bikes for the next 5 weeks.

And if Andy is 100% we will see one hell of a fight for top spot. In my opinion Andy has more than once proved that Contador has nothing on him in the mountains and has proved that he is a better all out climber of the long climbs!

The problem he faces is the following.

1.Contador can TT better than him.

2.Contador is a much more explosive climber, meaning Andy has to get him of he's wheel somehow. Andy's attacks won't hurt Contador, what will hurt him is if Andy gets a gap somehow of 30sec or so and he has to chase him down all on he's own.

So they have to make him work on the front in the mountains...I think that is where Frank can play a big role if he is close on GC.

The thing about the Tour climbs is they are not that steep and these guy's climb most of them at a speed that drafting is still a factor.

I see Basso had a big crash and has lost about 10 day's of training....that is a big setback this close to the tour.

Based on Andy's recent performance looks like he may be peaking after the tour ;)

Think that even if Conatdor is coming down, his level will still be higher than Andy's peak this year.

I am with Grumpy cant really see anyone in the current field that can compete against Berto currently

Last year's Tour I would rather put Condor being off his normal level, rather than Andy being great.

If you look at the tour the previous year he was so explosive rode away from both Lance and Andy on the mountains.

Like he did this year in the Giro,with the other GC contenders

Based on Andy's recent performance looks like he may be peaking after the tour ;)

Think that even if Conatdor is coming down, his level will still be higher than Andy's peak this year.

I am with Grumpy cant really see anyone in the current field that can compete against Berto currently

My comment was not Berto V Andy comments.

It's purely based on the fact that people are judging too early, Andy has no need to show his mettle now, also pro-riders train up to 35 hours a week when they are in base, we have no idea who is doing what, so we might get a surprise, not just from Andy but many other riders who look worthless at this stage.

Also I will add this, a rider who can climb, can surely TT, it's all about power and leg speed, skills that a rider can develop within a season

I agree with Dangle, last year Andy was not great in the lead up to the TDF either, but at the TDF he was in top form.

I also don't think Andy can peak higher than where he was last year - his card to play will be his team.

Imo the race for top spot is a lot less open than in recent years, its a 2 horse race, and if Conto is close to his 2009 form, he will be hard to beat.

My comment was not Berto V Andy comments.

It's purely based on the fact that people are judging too early, Andy has no need to show his mettle now, also pro-riders train up to 35 hours a week when they are in base, we have no idea who is doing what, so we might get a surprise, not just from Andy but many other riders who look worthless at this stage.

Also I will add this, a rider who can climb, can surely TT, it's all about power and leg speed, skills that a rider can develop within a season

Yeah, maybe, but you can only do so much in 5 weeks, if your form is lagging with 5/6 weeks to go, no matter how hard you train you cant catch up.

I personally dont think Andy is where he should be with 5 weeks to go.

For me, at 53 and lazy the Giro would be an effort which would take a year to recover from, for guys like 'Berto, at 28 and in prime condition, he will recover quickly, they are used to these efforts, I think mentally keeping motivation up will be a bigger issue.

I agree with Dangle, last year Andy was not great in the lead up to the TDF either, but at the TDF he was in top form.

I also don't think Andy can peak higher than where he was last year - his card to play will be his team.

Imo the race for top spot is a lot less open than in recent years, its a 2 horse race, and if Conto is close to his 2009 form, he will be hard to beat.

I tend to agree with you when you look at Contador form in 2009 he rode away from Andy and Lance on the mountains, I cant help but thin Andy was not great in 2010 rather Contador was not on his normal level in 2010.

This year if he rides I expect his explosive accelerations on the climbs will put Andy in serious difficulty almost like Nibali was.