Events

Ashleigh Moolman-Pasio adds depth to Bigla Cycling Team

· By Press Office · 1 comment

South African national road and time trial champion Ashleigh Moolman-Pasio joins the Bigla Cycling Team for the 2015 – 2016 seasons. Moolman-Pasio has enjoyed steady growth throughout racing in Europe the past five seasons and in August this year won the bronze medal at the Commonwealth Games in the road race.

She is known for her climbing ability, highlighted by finishing in the top five in La Flèche Wallonne Féminine the past two seasons.

A clearly excited Moolman-Pasio said, “The next two years leading up to the Rio Olympic Games are very important years for any athlete. A stable environment and a professional setup are key. When Thomas [Campana] contacted me about the team, I very quickly realised that with his level of experience and professionalism, that he has a very good understanding of what it takes to create an environment that will bring the best out of all the athletes during this important period, and that’s what attracted me to this project. We have a very exciting roster of girls, and I believe that under the direction of Thomas and the new management, we will be a force to be reckoned with.”

Earlier announcement from the Bigla Cycling team included new management under the leadership of Thomas Campana. Confirmed riders to the roster include Annemiek van Vleuten and Shelley Olds.

“As a team we want to create an environment where the athletes reach their full potential,” new team manager Campana said. “I’m not talking about going out and just winning races but rather reaching the maximum potential as an athlete and a human being in general. Ashleigh has a unique outlook on life and inspires many. We’re very excited to have her on board.”

Asked what she hopes to achieve with the new team, Moolman-Pasio said, “My goal is to become the best cyclist that I can possibly be. I feel that there is still room for growth, and I would like to achieve this growth by surrounding myself with people that will continue to challenge me and bring the best out of me. I’m very excited about this new team and I look forward to working with all the girls, staff and management.”

Comments

Selous Scout (aka LegTrap)

Sep 29, 2014, 8:55 AM

An amazing talent we have here and looking for bigger things next year.After looking good for most of the race last Saturday (UCI road champs) she lost it towards the end and finished 20th.I really thought she was in with a good chance to get a top 5 position but without having a bigger team to help her,it became a tall ask.

Add a comment

You must log in to comment