The CAMO advantages include:
- Perfect Chainline - many spider offsets so you can select the optimal chainline for reduced wear and improved shifting precision
- Optimal material usage - choose aluminum for lightweight performance or stainless steel for ultimate durability. Stainless steel with Aluminum spider is 50% lighter than a solid stainless direct mount ring.
- Price - best in class Drop-Stop starting at just $45, full systems, spider+ring are within a few dollars of our one piece direct mount chainrings
- Quick ring swaps - swap out a different sized ring in seconds with a T25 wrench and 5 small bolts.
- Wide application coverage - round or oval, stainless steel or aluminum, and no matter the crankset or chainline needs, Wolf Tooth is the one-stop-shop for your direct mount needs.
- Bling!! - we offer spider colors and bolt colors add a little flash to your sweet ride. All spiders will be shipped with matching ano bolts to black spiders will come with black bolts (pictures are with silver and red bolts), blue spiders with blue bolts, etc.
To elaborate further on why we pursued a spider based system now, take a look back at the last few year of de-standardization in our industry:
- Hub spacing was almost standard at 135/142mm, then boost 148mm, then boost 148mm for plus bikes (tire clearance consideration), and now recently some 150/157mm, all while cramming more cogs into wider range and physically wider cassette making chainline even more critical.
- Fat bikes came along and went from 135 offset to 170/177 to 190/197 with different spindle lengths and tire clearance needs along the way.
- 104 BCD was really common, but then direct mount cranksets, those that allow chainrings or spiders to be mounted directly to the arm, have become the standard more than the exception with great options from many different companies, but all of them using a different mounting interface.
- Wolf Tooth Elliptical Drop-Stop® rings with their advantages of enhanced traction and acceleration continue to gain popularity.
- Because 1x drivetrains put all the strain on one chainring about the size of the “middle ring” of a triple crank, riders in tougher environments are looking for chainrings made out of extremely durable materials like our 416 hardened stainless chainrings.
When combining 4-6 mainstream direct mount crankset with different mountings, 3-4 chainline offsets per mounting, 4-5 chairing sizes sizes, elliptical and round, stainless and aluminum, and some color options the number of chainrings needed to meet the mainstream market demand is several hundred.
CAMO™ is Wolf Tooth’s answer to meeting all the customer demands with this movement away from standards. When a customer comes and asks for a stainless steel 30t chainring for their crankset X, we and our dealers can now say “yes, we have you covered!”
For our great network of dealers and distributors, they can more easily stock what customers demand. In fact, by stocking 5 spiders and 9 chainrings they can cover 85% off direct mount customer demand (as opposed to 45 different chainrings)!
Available now with rings starting at $44.95 and spiders at $27.95.
- Aluminum round chainrings 28t-34t available now, 36t in 2-3 weeks
- Aluminum elliptical chainrings 30-34t available now
- Stainless round chainrings available in 2 weeks
- 4 offsets of SRAM direct mount compatible spiders available now covering all the different offsets: 135/142mm (Standard), boost, bb30, and reverse dish
- 3 offsets of Raceface direct mount compatible spiders available now covering all the different offsets: 135/142mm, boost, bb30, and reverse dish
- Cannondale AI compatible offset available in 2 weeks, standard and other offsets this Fall
- E-thrirteen, Sworks, FSA, etc all in the coming months.
http://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/collections/camo and at Wolf Tooth dealers and distributors in the coming weeks.
As a side note, we will not be discontinuing our current Aluminum direct mount chainrings for those riders that still prefer the one piece design.
Wolf Tooth is recognized as an industry leader in bicycle components and accessories combining innovative designs, made in USA quality and best in class performance.