Durban Critical Mass

EigerSA

Slowly but surely this ride is gaining momentum in Durban. Last night we had over 25 riders, which for us was pretty damn cool! Now if everyone who said they'd come, would actually pitch up, we would have so many more riders!

Quite an interesting mix last night, 2 fixies, 2 or 3 ss, and then the geared guys and girls. We had one lady from Romania who did really well to keep up in her heeled boots! Can't wait for the next one.

In the meantime, moonlight mass in on Tuesday night at 8:30pm - be there!

The joburg CM revival started last year with 6 people (2of those went home because there were not enough people), now we have about 600. Watch how Durban gets bigger. In December, we will have the Joburg CM earlier because everyone leaves town halfway through the month, I will be on the South coast at the end of December, so i will DEFINTELY be joining the Durban ride, and I will encourage all other riders from GP that are in Durbs for December to join too. That is, if you will have us....

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You are obviously MORE than welcome skidd! I can't wait for the summer CM rides in Durbs. Hot sweaty evenings spent riding through the streets... brilliant!

What date is the next DCM ride (durban critical mass ride) post it nice and early guys so we can all organize and be there thanks

We are busy with the planning of the first Pta cmr and are going to do a scout ride tonite to find a route,looking forward to it.

What date is the next DCM ride (durban critical mass ride) post it nice and early guys so we can all organize and be there thanks

Hey, there are two rides every month. Critical mass is the last Friday of every month and the moonlight mass ride is done on the night of the full moon every month. For both we meet and leave from Moses Mabhida Stadium. Here are the next ones:

Critical Mass - Durban - July

Friday, 27 July 2012 at 18:00

Moonlight Mass - Durban

Thursday, 2 August 2012 at 20:30

If you are on Facebook then join the Critical Mass- Durban group for all the updates, chat and photos.

• 2 weeks later...

A reminder for all the Durban chaps (and chicks)...

CRITICAL MASS this Friday @ 5:30pm for 6 - we leave at 6pm!!!

See the above post fro the Facebook link.

Hi Hubbers

Please help the un-informed out here...

Can any bicycle type join in? (The SO and I roll MTB)

And why, for interest sake, is it called "critical mass"?

I'm keen to join in Friday, 25km is perfect for my lazy behind...

Cheers

R

Hi Hubbers

Please help the un-informed out here...

Can any bicycle type join in? (The SO and I roll MTB)

And why, for interest sake, is it called "critical mass"?

I'm keen to join in Friday, 25km is perfect for my lazy behind...

Cheers

R

Hey RvanZ,

Critical Mass is the name behind the international movement in which cyclists "take the streets". In some parts it may be seen as being confrontational but for most of us here in SA (if I may speak for most) it is more about just getting out there on your bike and riding and enjoying our city and the company of others. It is definitely a social event.

ANY bicycle is welcome. I was going to say as long as it has two wheels but that is not even accurate as tricycles and unicycles are more than welcome too. So yeah, come on any non-motorised cycle you desire. We have had some single speed bikes, some road bikes, some cruiser bikes, some mountain bikes, some BMXs... you get the idea :) I roll a MTB too.

As for kit, whatever you are comfortable in. Some wear their lycra/cycling kit, others wear baggies and T-shirt, some come in jeans and jackets. Whatever blows your hair back. I'm not aware of anyone that has joined thus far that has judged anyone else.

You don't sound like you are anyway, but don't be out off by the distance. It is a chilled ride and being around Durban it is flat, flat, so the 25km are a breeze to complete.

Look forward to seeing you on Friday! :)

Edited by Clint_ZA

Cheers Clint!

We are definately keen, making plans to join in.

Best be getting the SO some arm warmers, as she feels the chill much faster than most of us.

Ta

R & K

Come on Durban! A fair few new riders showing an interest but let's make it a big one. I see the Pretoria CM are already talking numbers in excess of 50 for their first ride, and that is riding in Pretoria! Surely we can do more than that along our stunning beachfront on a mild Durban winter's evening? ;)

And the weather is indeed looking fair so no excuses :)

gallery_28653_1046_56386.jpg

Thank you all for a great ride

Was great fun, nice easy route too.

Thanks to Clint for the help on my multiple punctures, as well as the pit crew who waited with.

Clint, I owe you a couple of puncture kits! Cheers mate.

Apologies for the mad dash at the end, but I needed to cover the km's before my wheel went pap again.

Again, great ride, look forward to the fullmoon ride.

Cheers

Ryno & Kelly

• 5 weeks later...

Critical mass is the last Friday of every month and the moonlight mass ride is done on the night of the full moon every month. For both we meet and leave from Moses Mabhida Stadium. Here are the next ones:

Critical And Moonlight Mass - Durban - August

Friday, 31 August 2012 at 18:00

If you are on Facebook then join the Critical Mass- Durban group for all the updates, chat and photos.

Hey there bikeriders....Critical Mass this Friday is a special one : its also full moon! We meet @ 530pm at MM stadium, we ride at 6pm - 20 leisurely kays should see us back around 8pm - we will have a support car and hope to see you there!