Entry level mtb??

Tino-vito

Hey I am looking at buying a new or used mountain bike. I am willing to spend R5000?

I know it is not allot of money but obviously would like to get as much out of is as possible. Do I buy a bike like the Merida tfs 300, Schwin moab comp .... or do i go for an older bike with better components??

Please help I need a bike this week...

Thank you Tino

There are several threads very similar to this on the forum, all with basically the same advice. I myself was in a similar position 2 months ago.

You'll always get more bang for your buck if you go second hand. This does lead to some issues, though - you might not know what to look for in a second hand bike; you won't know how it's been treated; you seem to be on a tight schedule, which makes finding a real gem at a bargain price more difficult.

New - you get less spec for your money. However, you do get to enjoy a brand new bike, start a mutual, caring relationship with your LBS and you're more spoilt for choice, to a certain extent. You get to testdrive all the different bikes in you price range and pick the one that feels best.

My advice - stick with 26" hardtail - doubt you can anything else (new) for the money. The Merida is a very nice entry-level bike. Also check out Titan(made by Merida - their cheaper options) and Silverback - generally good value for money.