New brakes and rotor

Pappa Roach

Hi guys need new brake pads and a rotor for my MTB, got a shock to see the replacement price for the Elixir pads is R260 for a set, any other decent makes that you can recomend at a better price? Same with the rotor, is Alligator a good make?

Thx

There are aftermarket pads available for about half the price that work ok but I prefer OE.

When it comes to aftermarket discs.....a lot of them have more holes than metal in the pad contact area. The holes don't help to stop you and you have to pull harder to get the same braking force on the reduced steel area. It gets hotter and wears faster as a result. Also changes the feel (modulation) of your brakes. Aftermarket discs are often also thinner than OE and bend easier. But they look cool and may be lighter... you choose.

I've been very impressed with Shimano ice-tech discs. Alu laminated between steel facings on an alu spider. They stay noticeably cooler and warp less than my previous normal discs. Using normal pads, not the expensive finned ones.

Maybe change your topic to "new brake pads and rotors"... Because I almost suggested new brakes (which I think is the absolute best at this moment :D

Archived