Benoni to Woodmead Commute

Craig8252

Hi there

Starting working in the woodmead area at the start of the year. I live in Benoni.

Anyone out there commute from benoni to woodmead on the bike? What is the best route and quietest route from Benoni to Woodmead? I was thinking of going through Kempton, past Modderfontein, Greenstone, cutting through Linbro, coming out by Malbora, and then going up and over the pedestrian bridge that goes over the M1 onto the Western service road that runs parrallel to the M1?

Anyone know of a better route? Would like to give it a try tomorrow?

Thanks

Hi Craig

We ride part of that route some weekends from Sandton out to Bapsfontein and back via Petit, Benoni.

Depending where you stay in Benoni you could make your way towards the R25. The roads leading to the R25 from Benoni are nice, smooth and good shoulder width.

The R25 is OK but will be busy in the week. Parts have a nice wide shoulder. The road through Linbro has been redone but the main route is narrow. There are alternative routes to get you through. Crossing the N3 will be testing but with vehicles moving slower than weekends should be OK.

Once you are across the N3 and at the traffic lights at Marlboro Gautrain Station you have two choices. Either straight up Marlboro until Wendywood or turn right at the lights and pass on the right of Calvin. Again this road is busy and you would need to test ride the route. It comes out on to Old Pretoria Road and you take a quick trip over the M1 into Woodmead.

I have only ridden the route on the weekend and haven't had any adverse things to report but weekdays may be different.

Thanks for the reply

Ye, that's the route I was thinking of

Hi Craig

We ride part of that route some weekends from Sandton out to Bapsfontein and back via Petit, Benoni.

Depending where you stay in Benoni you could make your way towards the R25. The roads leading to the R25 from Benoni are nice, smooth and good shoulder width.

The R25 is OK but will be busy in the week. Parts have a nice wide shoulder. The road through Linbro has been redone but the main route is narrow. There are alternative routes to get you through. Crossing the N3 will be testing but with vehicles moving slower than weekends should be OK.

Once you are across the N3 and at the traffic lights at Marlboro Gautrain Station you have two choices. Either straight up Marlboro until Wendywood or turn right at the lights and pass on the right of Calvin. Again this road is busy and you would need to test ride the route. It comes out on to Old Pretoria Road and you take a quick trip over the M1 into Woodmead.

I have only ridden the route on the weekend and haven't had any adverse things to report but weekdays may be different.

Archived