Help! Brake Bridge Mount Loose

Kalahari Vegmot

Hi everyone, my brake bridge's metal insert for the rear brake caliper has loosened somehow, and now the rear brake can't be tightened properly anymore. Is this a common problem? Is it easily repairable, or do I have to get a new frame if I want to fix the problem? Nearest lbs is 120km's away, so any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

post-86802-0-84174100-1476013160_thumb.jpg

That's the metal insert that is loose in the frame.

Looks like a carbon frame from the pic.  

If you can push the mount completely out and thoroughly  clean both it and the part of the frame where it makes contact.  Then glue it back in with a two part epoxy such as Epidermix 372 (from a hardware store).  You might try to grove the carbon a little to increase the contact area for the glue as well as roughening the insert with coarse sandpaper.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, used Pratley Quickset Clear in the end, because I had some. Epidermix would probably be stronger though; I don't think it matters where I used it after reading another thread where the guys go more into detail about Epidermix vs Pratley; apperently the guys who know say that the Epidermix is not really different from space-grade adhesive, just expensive... The other thread: https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/21907-lugged-carbon-frame-fixglue/?hl=epidermix+372&do=findComment&comment=397375

Thanks for the help!

Archived