The future of road bikes in SA- Part 2

hweich

I posted something similar 2yrs ago [part 1] when i was very excited about my Colango cyclocross bike. this was something completely new but with time, a few major irritations developed and when it was written off recently, i would be lying if i said i was disappointed. with the help of the nice people at Santam, a new frame was soon under way [i initially wanted to order it from my old supplier in the UK, but that is not necessary: Mark Nel from Alpinesports sorted me out in no time at i price that is very competitive.

MY PROBLEMS:

1. I need a commuter that can do some gravel/single track on the way to work and on weekends be a road racing bike [i have a MTB for proper off roading].
  2. the old bike was designed to handle Sven Nys for one hour [out of the saddle] only and was the second hardest and most uncomfortable bike i ever rode [35c tires makes little difference]
  3. some people call me a snob. i believe that you are only a snob if you look down on others. i don't look down on people who do not ride Campagnolo. but i have had such amazing experience with it that i don't ride anything else- the only problem is that they did not have disc brakes for my last bike, so i had mechanical disc calipers- only for the suicidal. completely useless. but campag did not have disc brakes available.
  4. to ride off road, you need different gearing: 50/34 front and 11-29 at the back. for things like the Swartberg100 i however wanted to put a 32 cassette on the back but for that you need a medium cage derailleur which i did not have
  5. exposed Gear cables get full of dust/mud and after 4 rides, your shifting becomes a problem
  6. my old bike had a Powertap rear hub which is great but the wheelset weighed >2kg and the Stans GrailX rims got dented if you looked at them

THE SOLUTION:

post-74433-0-89693500-1509303512_thumb.jpg

1. see picture below. i have a spare set of road racing wheels for weekends
  2. smaller frame +thin rear stays+ 27,2 carbon seatpost with huge flex= completely transformed ride. Very comfy.
  3. I trawled the internet for months and as soon as Campag launched their hydraulic disc setup i ordered it. the brakes are simply unlike anything if ridden before: great stopping power but with good modulation [the Srams i tested before had no modulation: you touch them and you're over the handlebars].post-74433-0-23442500-1509304024_thumb.jpg 
  4. i ordered a medium cage derailleur which handles the gear ratios much better
  5. the new frame allows me to run the cable housing from the Ergolevers all the way to the derailleur and so far the shifting is excellent
  6. Stages powermeter and for everyday riding i bought Campag Zonda wheels: not the lightest but strong and VERY stiff. the hubs have old school cup and cone bearings which you can service yourself and i've had excellent experience with them in the pastpost-74433-0-75352400-1509303575_thumb.jpgpost-74433-0-32817900-1509303754_thumb.jpg

Full specs:

Frame: Colnago Prestige in EMIT colours on bare UD carbon

Cockpit: Colnago

Groupset: Campagnolo H11 with Recored derailleur [Chorus in pictures but this is on loan]

Wheels: Campagnolo Zonda disc. thru-axle

Tires: Schwalbe G-one 35mm rear and 40 front [ i have yet to see if 40 will fir the back]

Seatpost: Colnago do not make a 27,2mm post in carbon any longer. this is 3T Team stealth

Saddle: loan saddle in pictures soon to be replaced by my old Fizik Arione 

I have only good things to say about G-One and hydraulic disc brakes. From Suikerbosrand to Riccione and the Nove Colli they have served me well. Enjoy!

Archived