Run Bora or Fulcrum Speed 40C in tubeless mode

Rone69

Hello to all,
is there anyone who run these wheels in tubeless configuration ?? Any issue?

The wheels I've mentioned aren't rated for tubeless, but seems that some people have run them tubeless.
I'm running my Shimano Dura Ace C24 tubeless with no issue and I'm very happy with rhis set up .....

I'd like to buy a full carbon medium profile wheelset and i would run them with tubeless, I love new Fulcrum Speed 40C AC3 ...

I've run tubeless on alloy wheels (not tubeless ready) with standard (non tubeless) tires, with no issues what so ever. Would probably do that again someday.

I have also run tubeless on carbon wheels (not tubeless ready) with standard tires. It worked well, but you have to keep a close eye on the tires. As they got old and the beed got softer, the became harder to seat and it blew off the wheel one day while I was riding. Luckily it happened going uphill and I am very slow on uphills.

I have since not bothered with tubeless again.

My understanding is that the wheel is not really the issue. You can use, for the most part, any modern wheel and make it tubeless with enough tape etc. but the tire IS important. You'll need a proper tubeless tire to be safe.

Running tubeless on either non-tubeless tyres or rims (or both!) is a death wish. The tyre will pop off the rim at some point and have you sliding along the tarmac. There are many posts about this here and on other forums. You might be lucky and get away with it, but non-tubeless tyres and rims were not designed to run tubeless. 

You need both tyre and rim to be tubeless-specific for the tyre to seat properly and be held in place safely. 

The 40C comes in at 1420g per set and is not 2 way fit. If you want to run tubeless rather get the Racing Competizione which comes in at 1510g and although its alu it has carbon hubs, 25 and 30mm rim depth and 2way fit. You going to be doing higher speeds on a roadbike and having a tyre come off or blow up is not going to be pretty. If you really set on the 40C then run them with a decent race tyre and tubes.

I've run tubeless on alloy wheels (not tubeless ready) with standard (non tubeless) tires, with no issues what so ever. Would probably do that again someday.

I have also run tubeless on carbon wheels (not tubeless ready) with standard tires. It worked well, but you have to keep a close eye on the tires. As they got old and the beed got softer, the became harder to seat and it blew off the wheel one day while I was riding. Luckily it happened going uphill and I am very slow on uphills.

I have since not bothered with tubeless again.

My understanding is that the wheel is not really the issue. You can use, for the most part, any modern wheel and make it tubeless with enough tape etc. but the tire IS important. You'll need a proper tubeless tire to be safe.

I agree with you, the correct choice of the tires It's basically if I want run tubeless a non-tubeless wheels.

I run Schwalbe Pro One on my Shimano Dura Ace C24 (non-tubeless) .

Running tubeless on either non-tubeless tyres or rims (or both!) is a death wish. The tyre will pop off the rim at some point and have you sliding along the tarmac. There are many posts about this here and on other forums. You might be lucky and get away with it, but non-tubeless tyres and rims were not designed to run tubeless. 

You need both tyre and rim to be tubeless-specific for the tyre to seat properly and be held in place safely. 

The 40C comes in at 1420g per set and is not 2 way fit. If you want to run tubeless rather get the Racing Competizione which comes in at 1510g and although its alu it has carbon hubs, 25 and 30mm rim depth and 2way fit. You going to be doing higher speeds on a roadbike and having a tyre come off or blow up is not going to be pretty. If you really set on the 40C then run them with a decent race tyre and tubes.

Thank you for you suggestion.