manuela ronchi: angel or she-devil?

Tumbleweed

wolfie and del-boy,

i'm also in two minds. she put up with a lot of crap from him - the tirades, the abuse, the lies - but comes across as really concerned for him. her hubby too (god, he deserves an award) came in for a lot of flak.

but as the book winds down, there seems to be a lot of self-justification, and buck-passing. i got to thinking: thou doth protest too much, and started wondering whether the book was more a put the record straight of manu, rather than explaining what happened to the flawed soul that was marco pantani. and to finish it off with those three words: "madonna di campiglio"?  
holy roller2008-07-09 00:41:47

Did you enjoy reading the book and do they discuss a lot of his cycling achievements?

Did you enjoy reading the book and do they discuss a lot of his cycling achievements?

virgin, i did indeed enjoy reading the book. it was nice to see what pantani's oft-vilified manager had to say for herself. his achievements are dealt with quickly in the early chapters of ronchi's book. stands to reason though, she wasn't with him in the early days of his career when he scared the living daylights out of everyone, and won the hearts of the tifosi. most of the book deals with his downfall and many failed comeback attempts.