[Event] Cannondale Maluti Double 90

Pedal Power Association

Event Name: Cannondale Maluti Double 90
When: 06/04/2024
Where: Clarens, Free State
Category: Road

It is all systems go for the 2024 Cannondale Maluti Double 90 that will take place in Clarens on Saturday, 6 April 2024. The event is a team time trial over 180 km, entries are very limited. Only 120 teams will be taken, be sure to secure your team entry before the event is sold out.

DATE: Saturday, 6 April 2024

VENUE: President Square, Clarens, Free State

DISTANCE: 180 km. Team time trial; teams of 6-12 members with the time of the 6th rider across the line taken as the team’s official time

START TIMES: From 06h30

PRIZE-GIVING: Prize money will be awarded to the top three teams in each category totaling R96 000 at 15h00.

LUCKY DRAW: 15h00 with amazing prizes to be won.

CUT OFF AT THE FINISH: 16h45

ENTRIES CLOSE: Monday, 25 March 2024 or when the limit is reached.

COST PER TEAM:

Entries close Monday, 25 March 2024 or when the limit is reached.

PPA member: R10 500   

Non-member: R11 000

*Please note if you are not a PPA Member or a CSA license holder you will be required to take out a CSA Day License.

*Timing for the event will be done by Finish Time. All participants will receive a disposable once off timing tail board in their race pack that is included in the entry fee.

TEAM CATEGORIES:

Female – Women’s Teams may have only women starting in their team. This team may have any number between 6 and 12 riders.

Mixed – a minimum of 3 female riders need to finish within the first 6 riders of this team. Failing to do so will result in this team being classified as an Open Team.

Open (any combination of gender) – An Open Team may consist of male riders only, or teams with fewer than 3 female riders.

ROUTE: The route starts off deceptively gently, with mild undulating hills from Clarens towards Bethlehem. There’s a water point just after exiting Bethlehem on the R26, where you can also restock the energy levels.

From Water Point 1, the route follows the undulating R716 past farmlands towards Warden and Eenzaamheid. This section of the route has a good road shoulder and teams should be able to get into pacelines and post some good speeds here.

The second water point is at roughly 70 km, just before turning right at the four-way stop onto the R57 towards Kestell. Water and Coke will be offered here.

The R57 again offers a good road shoulder and with undulating hills, teams should be able to maintain some good speeds. By now, though, the undulating terrain may start to take its toll and teams will have to dig deep to maintain a good average speed to make the cut-off at Kestell.

Teams will meet up with their Team Support Vehicles in Kestell at the official Team Support Zone. (Please note that team support vehicles are not allowed to follow teams along the route. Teams found to be doing this may be disqualified.)

The Team Support Zone is in front of the local Kestell Hotel, where supporters and spectators will find breakfast, light meals, and cold beer for sale. Please note that there is a cut-off at 11h45 for teams to arrive at the Team Support Zone and teams that miss this cut-off will not be able to continue as the event cut-off (16h45 in Clarens) will not be reached in time.

There will be a 30min “time out” at the Team Support Zone in Kestell. The team’s clock will stop once the 6th rider of the team crosses the first timing mat at the team support zone. The team’s time will start again as soon as the first rider of the team crosses the 2nd timing mat at the exit of the Team Support Zone.

Go to Event Page.

• 4 months later...

hi i have done a number of these ranging from 4:45 to 06h00. Did the Double century nov 2023 (05:20) , so looking for team that need team member.