Difficult bike choice

SeanR

I'm seriously considering buying a road bike.  So far, I've narrowed my choice of bike to:

2008 Felt F75 (under R10k); or

2009 Merida 904

2009 KHS FLite 720 (both around R12k)

And, as a wildcard, a (used) 2006/2007 Giant TCR C2 (around R12k).

These are all similarly priced.  After a lot of reading (and thinking I was making some headway on my decision), I'm quite confused.

Anyone have useful advice?

In this kind of price range, the main thing differentiating new bikes is the components they come with and sometimes frame geometry (which can only really be tested by trying the bike).

All three of the ones listed have mostly 105 components.

The Felt and Merida both have non-series Shimano compact cranks. The KHS has a FSA Gossamer compact crank (roughly equivalent to Ultegra).

The Felt has non-series brakes, but an Ultegra rear derailleur. The KHS has Tektro brakes.

The 12-27 cassette on the KHS seems a bit extreme when paired with a compact crank. Even the 11-25s on the others seem a bit odd - I thought the norm was to pair an 11-23 with a compact.

I don't really know enough about the different wheel options offered, but would assume they're reasonably similar.

If they were all the same price, I would buy the one that looked nicest, but since the 2008 Felt is R2k cheaper than the others, that's the one I would go for (unless I really liked the 2009 colours).

You don't mention the spec on the Giant, but that might also be a good deal (I would expect a bike of that age to be about 50% of the new price, depending on condition).

Finally, I used to own a 2006 Merida 904 and had no complaints at all. The feedback I've received from her new owner has also been positive.

Thanks for the input Edman.  I was leaning towards the Felt - not sure the others are worth an additional R3k+.  Turns out the Felt is the F85 not F75 which seems to be a slightly lower spec.

The Giant is full carbon and looks to be in very good condition with Ultegra spec components (but I'm not sure no warranty/support is a good way to go - could be an expensive frame or component repair/replacement in the near future).

With a compact crank you can achieve the same spread of gears as a triple, traditionally used for sports touring in Europe, if you run 50/34 front and 11/28 rear (just to give some idea of range)

Many manufacturers are fitting 11/25 cassettes as stock with a compact