NCR - Rules and Such...

EigerSA

Today I decided to do a little spring clean. Over the course of about 2 hours I managed to clean the garage out, but that left me with a huge bakkie load of crap I needed to dump. Amongst said rubbish was some ancient 5l paint tins as well as about 5 computers in various dismantled stages. Since I'm into the whole eco-movement (I don't believe in global warming, but I like the green part) I decided to head to the nearest dump. After about 120km's of driving (after visiting 3 dumps) it turns out I can't dump the paint tins or the computer stuff 'cause they contain heavy metals. So after loads of aggravation (I yelled at a lot of people today) I'm back at home with a full bakkie load of rubbish... pretty much where I started this afternoon.

My question... with all the building work and renovating going on, just what exactly is happening to all those now nearly empty paint tins? None of the dumps accept them, so I assume everyone is just hoarding them? Ditto the computer stuff. And how can my local council (Ethekweni) not know where I can dump this stuff!? I can totally understand why people just dump on the side of the road!

Rant off :)

EigerSA2009-11-03 15:11:34

At the Makro in Woodmead there is a container where you can dump your old computers.  As for paint tins - no clue. 

Michelle

Most Incredeble Connections recycle computers.

For the paint, maybe give you house a new paint job?

I agree.

I recently inherited 25 litres of old motor oil (dont ask) and been responsible I wanted to get it recycled. Well to cut a long story short I estimate I spent 5 hours over three days on the phone trying to find someone who would accept it.

I phoned the muncipality, who refered me to Enviro-waste, who refered me to the Rose Foundation, who refered me to three oil recyclers who said the quantity was too small and refered me to 4 agents who over a three day period never answered their phones once.

I called at least 10 motor workshops in the area, who all told me either they used a vacuum system and couldnt suck up the oil because they didnt know what was in it and it may block their system, or that they wouldnt take it because their own drums were almost full, collection was haphazard and they didnt want to chance filling it up with my oil.

Eventually, I drove past a small private workshop in someones house, and after bribing the two mechanics with a Kentucky meal a few cokes they took it off me.!

Its very irritating, Mondi and Consol have really done well and made paper and glass recycling points easily accessable to the public and people use them the drums are often full and I sometimes have to drive to two or three to find an empty one - but as for oil, plastic, computer parts, liquids like paraffin, paint etc, its almost impossible.

I agree.

I recently inherited 25 litres of old motor oil (dont ask) and been responsible I wanted to get it recycled. Well to cut a long story short I estimate I spent 5 hours over three days on the phone trying to find someone who would accept it.

I phoned the muncipality' date=' who refered me to Enviro-waste, who refered me to the Rose Foundation, who refered me to three oil recyclers who said the quantity was too small and refered me to 4 agents who over a three day period never answered their phones once.

I called at least 10 motor workshops in the area, who all told me either they used a vacuum system and couldnt suck up the oil because they didnt know what was in it and it may block their system, or that they wouldnt take it because their own drums were almost full, collection was haphazard and they didnt want to chance filling it up with my oil.

Eventually, I drove past a small private workshop in someones house, and after bribing the two mechanics with a Kentucky meal a few cokes they took it off me.!

Its very irritating, Mondi and Consol have really done well and made paper and glass recycling points easily accessable to the public and people use them the drums are often full and I sometimes have to drive to two or three to find an empty one - but as for oil, plastic, computer parts, liquids like paraffin, paint etc, its almost impossible.

[/quote']

This is strange. I have on a couple of occasions taken 25 litre drums of old oil to the local pikitup depot and it was fine. They put the drums to one side - for collection. I told them what was in it. There was no mention of not taking it.

I agree.

This is strange. I have on a couple of occasions taken 25 litre drums of old oil to the local pikitup depot and it was fine. They put the drums to one side - for collection. I told them what was in it. There was no mention of not taking it.

Here in Bedfordview the muncipality contracts refuse collections, landfills etc to Enviro-waste as far as I can see. Nobody mentioned Pikitup and to be honest I never thought of them.

I hope I dont have to get rid of oil again but if I do I'll remember, thanks.