Jhb Potholes!!!

jmaccelari

Thanks for sharing. Potholes are really bad in the Carlswald / Crowthorne area. Maybe they'll be able to sort them out.

Check the map on the web site: you're covered there. Start reporting!!!

I see there's an initiative from the private sector (so it'll work!!!) to rid Johannesburg of potholes!

You can let them know of potholes via the web site or SMS.

Check out:

http://www.potholebrigade.co.za/

I'll start noting them tomorrow!

Yes, Bronwen, she is a close friend of mine. Do you know her? She's been working very hard to get this going. It's part of dial direct.

Just a few facts:-

Gautrans has repaired 49 200 potholes since 01 October 2010

Repairwork is done by 77 companies in the province. This is only on provincial roads, metro;s, municipalities and SANRAL roads are excluded here.

The Pothole Brigade sponsored by Dial Direct has repaired 3500 potholes since August 2010. The Jetpatcher they use was developed in New Zealand and is revolutionary that in mixes a coarse slurry in the machine mounted on a truck. Slurry is a aggregate, sand and bitumen emulsion that can be cold mixed. It is then applied by "spraying" it into the pothole. The technique is very much the same as the Gunite Concrete used to create swimming pools.

It must also be remembered that repairing a pothole where the road formation has reached the end of its functional life is futile. Yo cannot create a silk purse out of a pig's ear.

Our biggest enemy contributing to the condition of our roads is overloading. The resultant damage due to overloading more than the E80 load (8ton per axle) is exponential. One cannot design pavement for these type of situations and a lot of our road damage can be ascribed to unscrupolous haulers that overload.