[Event] Jeep Katberg MTB Classic

Bennie Dikwiel

Event Name: Jeep Katberg MTB Classic
When: 16 April 2011
Where: Katberg Eco Golf Etate & Hotel, Eastern Cape
Category: MTB

Jeep Katberg MTB Classic

Where: Katberg Hotel ( 40km North of Fort Beaufort)

Distances: 55km Up-&-Over the mountain Challenge ; 35km Challenge and a 20km fun ride as well as a 5km kiddies fun ride. Here are routes for all fitnesses and ages!

This year we are adding an exciting downhill race! 7km down the old Kat Pass!!! This will be on the Sunday Morning.

Distances and Costs:

55km Grand Cherokee Challenge - R180-00 (Includes Hoddie/T-shirt, Spur Burger & Goodie Bag)(Requires License to ride) - Classified as marathon

35km Patriot Experience - R 125-00 (Includes Hoddie/T-shirt, Spur Burger & Goodie Bag)(Requires License to ride) - Classified as half-marathon

20km Wrangler Ride - R 100-00 (Includes Hoddie/T-shirt, Spur Burger & Goodie Bag)(No-license required to ride)

5km Spur Family Ride - R 55-00 (Includes T-shirt, Spur Burger & Goodie Bag)(No-license required)

7km Extreme Downhill Race - R 50-00 (License Required to race)

Temporary day licenses can be purchasd at R30-00.

Route Info:

55km Mountain Challenge Route - The route starts at the Club House this year and goes around the back of the golf estate with a slight gradual climb on the cement tracks. At the back of the estate the route ducks down into the nature reserve. At the base of the reserve the riders are taken deep into indigenous forest single track. There is a steepish, but short single track climb that takes riders back to the forest roads. From here it is another short climb to the main forest gravel road. Here the 55km riders depart from the 35 & 20km riders route, to go toward the infamous Kat Pass. The Kat Pass takes riders up 650m in 10km! From here there is a short reprieve as riders head a short distance down the other side before turning up onto the newly found short-cut to the top of the Katberg Mountain. This short-cut removes 300m of vertical climbing from last year’s route to get to the top of the mountain! The terrain is also much more ride’able, with only short portages for the non-mountain-goats. This new route also hugs the cliff-line allowing for much more awe inspiring views on the way to the compulsory stop which has also been moved to the Notorious Turn-Off (that many riders missed in 2009!).

From here the route definitely turns downward, with some of the most unique single track cut in the mountain reeds. Half way down the mountain the 55km riders will join up with the 35km riders who will also be very happy to start pointing their bikes South! The loooong mountain-side loop of last year has also been cut in half, so the riders will do a short contour path with some undulations before joining the 20km riders in the downhill sprint back home! With the finish at the Club house – same as last year, just coming from the other side.

35km Challenge Route: The route starts at the Club House and goes around the back of the golf estate with a slight gradual climb on the cement tracks. At the back of the estate the route ducks down into the nature reserve. At the base of the reserve the riders are taken deep into indigenous forest single track. There is a steepish, but short single track climb that takes riders back to the forest roads. Here the 35km and 20km routes break away from the 55km route, by continuing West along the forest roads away from the golf estate. After a few kilometres the 20km riders will head up a slight hill, but the 35km riders will continue along the forest road. Up to a point where they will point their bikes upward, heading up the Southern face of the Katberg Mountain along a spectacular pass that will take the 35km riders to a point where they will meet up with the 55km riders heading down the mountain. From here the route is mainly downhill, with 2 climbs that link them up with the 20km riders again. The route then follows a lovely indigenous forest contour path. One more short little climb, then it is really downhill all the way into the Golf Estate, to finish at the club house.

Huge accommodation specials at the hotel, and camping right at the start/finish area!!

See full deyails of rates etc. in the race entry form attached below.

There is REALLY no reason not to do this ride!

It is only 250km from Port Elizabeth , 180km from East London and 80km from Queenstown.

Excitement is mounting for the Fourth annual Kat Classic MTB challenge

which takes place on Saturday 16 April in Katberg.

This is the perfect MTB event for the entire family.

For accommodation bookings speak to Amanda on 043 743 3433

This promises to be a race filled with spectacular views, great prizes, fun & good food

We look forward to seeing you there!

Go to Event Page

This is more than a race.....

For the fit - it is a battle of Man against Mountain!

For the social riders - it is an unsurpassed opportunity to ride in pristine indigenous forests.

For kids - a chance to "do what daddy does!"

Come do this race! It is REALLY cool! :thumbup:

Mountain bikers looking for Mountains??

See what there is to ride at the Jeep Katberg MTB Classic:

post-3726-0-82908900-1301405342.jpg

Did you guys know there is a new Downhill Event at this race? :clap:

7km balls-to-the-wall downhill down the Katberg Mountain Pass.... which once apon a time was a road down the mountain...... now it is prime MTB downhill domain! :drool:

DB I WILL BE THERE CANT DECIDE WEAPON OFF CHOICE SCOTT SPARK OR KTM450 ???

WILL CARBO LOAD WITH MY FAVOURITE PRE RACE DRINK..... DA CAPTAIN. CM

This is more than a race.....

For the fit - it is a battle of Man against Mountain!

For the social riders - it is an unsurpassed opportunity to ride in pristine indigenous forests.

For kids - a chance to "do what daddy does!"

Come do this race! It is REALLY cool! :thumbup:

DirtBag no kidding hey! It is a monster! From 871m to 1802m in 27km. Remind me not to forget the Oxygen Cylinders. See you there.

Here is the 55km route profile:

post-14134-0-21744000-1302504542.jpg

What a bugger that was, the 55km was cancelled because of the weather, you cannot take chances in the mountain, and if the 4x4's are getting stuck then you are going to struggle, the black clay at the top would have been a nightmare. Mud mud and more mud on the 35km route, thank goodness I rode the single speed, but I did make a mistake with the gearing, the published route elevation was nothing like the real one, so I did a lot of pushing, but with the ssloshy conditions I couldn't get any momentum or carry speed, and when I stood to pedal my back wheel just slipped out. All in all a good muddy ride, but I lost my glasses in the last climb before the turning point, so if anyone knows who picked them up, please let me know (Oakleys with persimmon lenses). Jughead dave you lost out on some beer boet, you left too soon. I had fun, but the singletrack would have been awesome in the dry, we'll have to go up in the winter and do some riding when it has dried out somewhat.