Powdercoating

dylankeyter

Hello Hubbers

Can you recommend a powdercoater in Cape Town? Do you have any experiences with Cape Powdercoating in Paarden Island? What should I expect to pay to get a frame bead blasted and powdercoated in matt black?

Thanks

I know this topic has been slogged, but I'll hang on it with new interest.

I've been searching in the threads for the 'ubber who had something shotblasted and coated for next to naught in M Gardens.

When I restored a car I had a lot of stuff powder coated. The finish is sometimes not great/smooth

Not sure if I would take a chance with a frame :unsure:

Had a mtb frame powdercoated last week at Area Powdercoaters in Montague Gardens. Finish was not as good as I thought it would be , but only cost R320.

At least if it comes out bad there are ways to remove it

Some paint strippers

I think the other was Holts Head Gasket Remover

When I restored a car I had a lot of stuff powder coated. The finish is sometimes not great/smoothNot sure if I would take a chance with a frame :unsure:

I guess that would depend on who does it and how experienced they are with frames. Morewood frames are powdercoated as a standard, so whoever they use (probably on PMB) knows what they're doing.

At least if it comes out bad there are ways to remove it Some paint strippersI think the other was Holts Head Gasket Remover

Chemically removing powdercoating isn't as easy as one may think. Most places recommend sand/bead blasting for the majority of jobs, but a bike frame (esp. alu) should try avoid this harsh treatment.

I recently chemically stripped the powedercaoting on one of my morewoods. It took many hours, some pretty expensive paint stripper, and then some work with steel wool to get rid of the goldy chemical pre-treatment that the alu undergoes before initial powdercoat.

It can be done... but it's time consuming.

..... a good powdercoater will in anycase sandblast the frame to ensure that his powder sticks.....

I had 2 or 3 frames powdercoated with sandblasting..... no problems yet. Go and inspect the works, make sure the owner understands that you require minimum blasting and speak to the guy that does the acctual sandblasting and explain to him the delicay of your frame..... and then hope for the best!