Vino Quits

cyclenut

Doped or not - few can argue the fact that he's one of the gutsiest riders of this generation.

Alexandre Vinokourov has announced his retirement in the wake of the one-year doping ban he received from the Kazakhstan cycling federation.

Vinokourov and his Astana team were kicked out of the 2007 Tour de France after he tested positive for a banned blood transfusion.

He was fired by Astana after his B sample confirmed the positive result.

He said: "I don't want this sport any more. I'm slamming the door and I'm leaving. I will prove I'm not guilty."

I dont think he had too many options, at 34 he was nearly at the end of his career anyway.

I always liked Vino, he didnt say much, did what he had to do and "injected" (no pun intended) a lot of interest into some otherwise dead boring races, very sad, that, like Heras,Ullrich and company, he has to end his sporting career like this.

With out Vino there is no Astana Team he owns it runs it

Not quite sure you're right

He was instrumental in getting the Kazakh government and big business to bankroll and endorse the team, but as to him owning it ; he may have some share but how substantial is it?

With out Vino there is no Astana Team he owns it runs it

Not quite sure you're right

He was instrumental in getting the Kazakh government and big business to bankroll and endorse the team' date=' but as to him owning it ; he may have some share but how substantial is it?
[/quote']

I think Marc Biver "owns" the team as in he holds the PT license. But Vino used his pull inn Boratland to get sponsors on board. The sponsors have given gfinancial garantees to Johan Bruyneel going forward, so thye future of the team looks secure.