Novice of note

Tilon

I bought my first MTB last year, a Bianchi Doss 5100, for R4000-00. Not the greatest, but good enough for me. (mecahnical disc brakes, sunbtour fork, Alivio Shifters, Deore deraillers etc) Did (and still do) Groenkloof regularly, a few 60km races and Karoo to Coast. Only thing I changed is the tyres and obviously a few minor maintenance related items. The bike has been abused somewhat, and litte niggles are starting to creep out here and there.

Personally, I would not upgrade an entry level bike, rather ride it until it falls apart, flog it, and get yourself a better specced bike. This is a good time of the year to buy a new bike as it was said already that most shops are stocked woith 2012 models and the 2011 ones go for good prices.

Another point, as nigelhicks suggested, try and find a good LBS in your area, establish a good relationship with them, support them and they will (should) help you out a lot more than they would once off customers.

Bur regardless of the bike you ride, this is an amazing sport! So welcome and enjoy!!